Advice Wanted: Encompassing all DAT Study Materials!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuckyDogInc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone, I'm LuckyDog and although fairly new to the board, been a lurker for a while. Recent graduate of Undergrad (pre-med/finance major) and after analyzing pretty much every professional medical profession out there, have come to the conclusion that dentistry far outweighs almost everyone of them in what to me is considered a great profession. i.e. helping others, running your own business, Quality of life, balance, etc...

FYI: I currently work in the O.R. by consulting Orthopaedic surgeons on surgeries and took the job to see if I truly wanted to go to medical school to be a surgeon--heck no...the QOL is horrible and the "golden age" of medicine such as GP's, surgeons, etc. has long since passed) That is just to show you how serious I am about selecting the right career for me as I demand a lot out of myself and my life.

Anyways, so I'm sitting here preparing for the 2007 round of applications for dental school and have been reviewing the best guides to assist on the DAT, and I want your opinions. (Already searched the archives but want some opinions)

I currently have the Schaums guides for Bio. and the Chemistry's, Dr. Kananyi's Guide, and Barrons guide for the PAT section only. I am looking for 2 more guides that will best help me overall and I plan on giving myself the next 3 months to prepare for my first DAT.

The TOP 3 seem to be the 1) TopScore CD program, the 2) Kaplan 3rd Edition Guide with CD and the 3)DAT Achiever online/CD program.

Right now Im leaning toward the Topscore and Kaplan as it's another book but want your opinions. Especially those who have these materials and have taken the DAT. Is it overkill to get all three and if so, which two do you think is best?? Thanks in advance and I appreciate your time.

Sincerely,

LuckyDog

Members don't see this ad.

I'm suprised...no one here has any suggestions on which are the best guides to study for the DAT with? Any pluses/minuses of the three guides I mentioned?? (TopScore, Kaplan, DATAchiever??) Thanks guys, look forward to hearing from you.

LD

i have the same type of dilema.... i've been lookin around at the different software/materials for DAT prep and i am still not sure of what i should spend my money on. i have read (on previous threads) that the TopScore program is really good, but i too would like some more info. any info from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!!

ps- sry i couldnt answer your questions

Get all three. They are all worth the money. The more practice you do, the better you will do on the test. The total is 150$, so I think it is worth the money. Think about the goal, which is dental school. Atleast get Kaplan and Topscore. peace

Members don't see this ad :)
arash said:
Get all three. They are all worth the money. The more practice you do, the better you will do on the test. The total is 150$, so I think it is worth the money. Think about the goal, which is dental school. Atleast get Kaplan and Topscore. peace

thats the true and simple answer. There is no right or wrong and everyone has their strenghts and their weaknesses. A good all around place to start is with Kaplan blue book because it encompasses everything you need to know for the DAT. Then take a wack at a practice test and some practice problems, determine your strenghts and your weaknesses. Work on your weakest areas first and stay fresh on your strengths. There is really no better answer than this if you ask me.

Topscore and DAT Achiever are great because they are practice tests. If you take the kaplan course, you get a plethora of problems and practice tests. It is important to not get so entirely bogged down on studying material that you never put it to use for problems and practice tests.

LuckyDogInc said:
Greetings everyone, I'm LuckyDog and although fairly new to the board, been a lurker for a while. Recent graduate of Undergrad (pre-med/finance major) and after analyzing pretty much every professional medical profession out there, have come to the conclusion that dentistry far outweighs almost everyone of them in what to me is considered a great profession. i.e. helping others, running your own business, Quality of life, balance, etc...

FYI: I currently work in the O.R. by consulting Orthopaedic surgeons on surgeries and took the job to see if I truly wanted to go to medical school to be a surgeon--heck no...the QOL is horrible and the "golden age" of medicine such as GP's, surgeons, etc. has long since passed) That is just to show you how serious I am about selecting the right career for me as I demand a lot out of myself and my life.

Anyways, so I'm sitting here preparing for the 2007 round of applications for dental school and have been reviewing the best guides to assist on the DAT, and I want your opinions. (Already searched the archives but want some opinions)

I currently have the Schaums guides for Bio. and the Chemistry's, Dr. Kananyi's Guide, and Barrons guide for the PAT section only. I am looking for 2 more guides that will best help me overall and I plan on giving myself the next 3 months to prepare for my first DAT.

The TOP 3 seem to be the 1) TopScore CD program, the 2) Kaplan 3rd Edition Guide with CD and the 3)DAT Achiever online/CD program.

Right now Im leaning toward the Topscore and Kaplan as it's another book but want your opinions. Especially those who have these materials and have taken the DAT. Is it overkill to get all three and if so, which two do you think is best?? Thanks in advance and I appreciate your time.

Sincerely,

LuckyDog

YOU NEED THE KAPLAN COURSE TESTS AND SOLUTIONS WHICH COST $1,000. I have these on CD.

Hot pickle baby said:
YOU NEED THE KAPLAN COURSE TESTS AND SOLUTIONS WHICH COST $1,000. I have these on CD.

copyright infringement...thats why you changed your name cause you were scared dental schools would find out and kick you out..makes sense now.

Hot pickle baby said:
I felt that Topscore was a HUGE waste of my time and efforts.

You are kidding right? you can't get any closer to the real science section than topscore.

arash said:
You are kidding right? you can't get any closer to the real science section than topscore.

Thats my opinion. A big crappin waste of my time.

Maybe we had different exams.

SMC2UCLA2_ said:
copyright infringement...thats why you changed your name cause you were scared dental schools would find out and kick you out..makes sense now.

Why does this guy keep on posting behind me with bad comments?

No dipshi%, I took the class, I paid for everything, its all downloadable.

Now go get off the internet so mommy can make a phone call :laugh:

Kaplan has my endorsement.

Hot pickel baby, congrats on your acceptance. Now tell me where you got that avatar.

Kaplan has my endorsement.

Hot pickel baby, congrats on your acceptance. Now tell me where you got that avatar. It is both rediculous and delightfull(I promise not to copy you).

LuckyDogInc said:

Sincerely,

LuckyDog

Poll: Which study materials did you find most helpful in preparing for the DAT?

LuckyDogInc said:

Sincerely,

LuckyDog

Get all 3. I only got the first two and hence my low PAT score. DAT achiever did wonders for some people I know. They went from my score to a 22 on PA. However, topscore and kaplan is plenty for the sciences. Kaplan is overkill for chemistry and organic chemistry. I just read that book and took the exam and felt very prepared. As for the biology section, I recommend supplementing with a book such as Schaum's biology guide for 17 bucks amazon I think. If you know Schuam's guide to bio, the DAT bio should be a cake walk.

Good luck,
Rich