Advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamtobeMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am in a strange predicament. I am a psychology major and I am finishing up my premed and a minor in chemistry. I have taken this quarter off of school to study for the MCAT and was trying to use SNEd's 3 month schedule, but unfortunately I have discovered that 3 months is just not enough time for me to get the score that I want and I would rather do things right the first time than apply sloppy, so I have decided to postpone applying this year and instead trying next year. I am planning on taking the MCAT in Sept but if I am not ready then the first date in Jan 2011.

Here are my stats: I am looking at being published as second author by next year as well as presenting later this year at a conference. I have done research for a little over 1 year and volunteered about 200+ hours at a hospital. Prior to volunteering and research I worked about 30+hours/wk for 3 1/2 years. I am looking at starting some leadership experience through the hospital at which I volunteer at. It has been unbelievably hard to find an MD to shadow! No one will allow it . I do not not know of what other ECs I should be doing, so I would really appreciate some advice. I believe that I have some pretty good letters of rec and I have a good story for my PS. My GPA is a 3.57 ( i'm hoping to get it closer to a 3.6 by the time that I apply) and sGPA is about 3.6. I have had a pretty good upward trend in my grades: Community college 3.30, state school 3.47, current state school 3.81. I am a 27 yr old hispanic female and live in CA.

The problem lies in the fact that my school is trying to force me to graduate asap! My department does not seem to understand, or really care for that matter, that I am premed, they just simply want me to graduate asap and because of this they have put a hold on my registration until I meet with the dean and sign some sort of contract. Now it is very late for registration and many classes are now full. It is notoriously difficult to get added into classes at my school so now it seems as though I will not be able to take any classes in the fall. Is this going to look really bad to med schools that I took Spring quarter and now Fall quarter off? I will be returning to school next year (winter quarter) and be finished with premed, my bachelors and minor by Fall of 2011. What should I do in 2012 while I am waiting for interviews and acceptances (HOPEFULLY!!!) ? I want to be a doctor so badly I am so upset that because of all of this I am not going to be able to take classes in the fall and have this huge gap in my transcript

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No it's not. They prob want you to graduate because of Cali's terrible budget crisis. Every school will often ask if you have any breaks in your education on your secondary. Just explain this predicament to them.

Also, I would advise you to do some more ECs. A gap off is fine in your scenario but it would be very advantageous for you to actually do something in that time frame as well so you can write about it + boost your app.

Well I will be doing my research, some leadership stuff at the hospital I volunteer at, hopefully get some MD shadowing in!, some non-profit volunteer work and at the same time studying for the MCAT in case I am not ready in Sept. Is this sufficient?

Thanks!