Advice

Started by BAH94
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BAH94

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

Last cycle I applied only MD and unfortunately did not get any interview. I plan to apply MD and DO for this upcoming cycle.

Stats:
3.87 GPA Biochemistry
MCAT: 505 (1st try)
Clinical Research: 575 Hours
Shadowing: 80 Hours
Clinical volunteering: 30 Hours
Non-clinical volunteering: 140 Hours

Also, Varsity athlete, involved in several on campus organizations with leadership positions.

I was wondering if I should spent the months after graduation studying full time for the MCAT? Or if I would be better off finding a clinical job such as a scribe to get more clinical hours for my application?

Thank you
 
It was probably some combination of not enough clinical hours + MCAT. Definitely look to get more of those hours before anything. 505 ~ 68% ~ 28-29 on the old MCAT which is borderline for MD's unless you have a state school that's more forgiving. Apply DO as well. You should be competitive for the "top DO's" such as PCOM, KCUMB, DMU, MSUCOM ect.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also I applied to most MD schools in the Midwest except ones that I knew I had no chance at such as Northwestern and University of Chicago.