Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaribJess

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG looking for advice/reassurance on my current situation. I started medical school in the Caribbean a few years ago (2012) and am now currently studying for Step 1. I have taken longer than 2 years to complete basic sciences and have also transferred schools in between. This will be my second attempt at the Step 1 exam. Ultimately, I want to match into FM and location does not matter much for me. I wanted to know if I had a chance at completing medical school and matching in the future.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What are some alternative career options if it doesn't work out? I have an AS in Biology.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some alternative career options if it doesn't work out? I have an AS in Biology.

With no additional training? Not much. Perhaps look into getting certified in Medical Laboratory Sciences (MLS) and then work your way into a clinical lab manager position. Entry level pays around $45k for most of the country, but with a few years experience and good leadership skills you can break $100k as a lab manager at larger hospital labs. Here in NY the lab manager at my hospital makes $140k and it only requires a bachelors. Compared to schlepping your way around the wards it is a pretty cush job, and you still get to interface with doctors/nurses/hospital staff and keep your fingers in medicine.

Reactions: 1 user