Advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annakei

Therapist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I need some advice. As some of you know Im getting married next year and in the midst of planning the wedding. Ive decided to go back to school and finish up m MA-Psychology as I was in another program for Forensic Psychology before but stopped due to the stress and high demands of my current job. I found a program that would allow me to complete my MA in about a year but it is a DAY program and they dont have evening courses. A benefit of this program is that I am able to fill all the PRErequisites/recommended/required courses for the PHD/PsyD programs because I was not a Psychology major in undergrad (Criminal Justice).

Fast Forward....

I appraoched my job to let them know of my intentions to return to school and after some finegling it just wouldnt work out. So ive applied to some part time positions (I cant feasibly work full time in this program unless it is totally BS position) and interviewed, the second interview is coming some point this week or next week. Im starting to feel guilty because I LOVE my team, the job and everything about it. The CEO is sending us to the beach in NC to relax just as a TREAT! They paid for us all to go to Wolf Trap out here and we go to happy hours regularly. So as you can see we are a cohesive unit here (we're social workers). I dont want to leave but I WANT MY MASTERS ALREADY!! Ive started and stopped so many times and with getting married babies are no doubt fair game and I wanted to have themAFTER I at least have my masters degree.

Another option is that I could just take community college classes to fill the PRErequisites for the program but STILL in a year I wouldnt have a Masters and that gives no guarantee that Ill get in to the PsyD/PHD programs I plan to apply to. Eventhough you get a MAsters on your way to the doctorate while in any PsyD/PHD program.

My goal is to at least have my masters just in case I dont get accepted....or just dont go for whatever reasons. Im questioning the move to go to a part time job because im planning a wedding and buying a house and that takes MONEY...MOOOLAH!! Id be receiving a significant cut in salary by going part time but I dont have that many bills so im OK with it...its just the wedding planning and buying the house that scares me...no extra money for MUCH! MY fiance is also in grad school and taken a job that will allow him to go to class in the days and they pay for school so he is set. BUT still, as you guess it doesnt pay GREAT because of those perks.

What should I do? Should I leave the FT job if offered a position PT or should I just stay work full time and take community college classes to fulfill the prereqs?

Pros of going back now:

**I would get my Masters in a year
**Fulfill the prereqs for the doctoral program
**I'll be able to get more competitive jobs after obtaining the masters

Cons:

**Part time job...less money
**Potentially pissing off my supervisor and clinical director by telling them Im leaving
**Leaving my GREAT team

If I were to compromise:
**Requirements would be fulfilled and I can apply this year for the doctoral program
**NO masters to fall back on if I dont get accepted
**I get to stay with my team and still make FT money enabling me to help cover costs for the wedding and housebuying

Members don't see this ad.

These are difficult decisions your facing. Some of the best advice I received from a former supervisor was, “Don’t let your job get in the way of your career.” I have found this suggestion applies before school, during school, and after the Ph.D./PsyD. Good luck.

Good advice. However you could always consider getting your MA in a distance learning format from like WAlden or something, and continue working FT. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
True, but is such a university respected? I ASK because I had a brief stint with Argosy and didn't really like the SET UP but I will look into that!

Thanks!

Psici do youwho has went through Walden and if so what was their experience?chology

ETA: WOW they have a PHD in Clinical Psychology! Its done totally online? Are they accredited? Didnt know a PHD in Psychology done 100% distance was possible...

They are accredited. I have not gone there or know anyone that has, but I can say this: once you are licensed nobody really cares where you got your degree. We all have to pass the EPPP etc... It sounds like it may be a good option for you. You could also try www.ncu.edu. :)

It sounds like you’ve got a great job, and I wouldn’t quit it just to get a masters. I really don’t think a MA in itself is much of selling point for clinical doctoral programs (unless it serves as a way of getting experience and prerequisites). In your case I think you already have superior clinical experience and I think you said before you had some hands-on research experience too. I think you are already a strong candidate… so quit fretting!

If I were you, I’d do at least some of the classes at a CC to save money. Online classes are an option too but they can be expensive and you may encounter some prejudice among people who have had no experience with them. High GRE scores are the best weapon to have if you encounter this kind of prejudice!

Good luck. I say focus on your PsyD apps, and don’t worry about whether you have a masters or not. I hope I’m not leading you up the garden path, but I think you’ll be fine.

Thanks winnie...

At this point, I AM passing onthe PHD programs (about 95% sure of that) and going for the PSyD. There are quite a few programs on my list that will shave a year off if you enter with a Masters (of course in the same/related field). I want to get the MA because IF I dont go next year or in 2 years at least I am eligible for a RAISE or more competitive jobs.

Ehhh I dont have GREAT GREs and working with a tutor now to get them to acceptable shape, so for me a Master's will help my case along with better GRE scores. I AM afraid of the prejudice around online classes so im foregoing that option.

The research experience is so so...I am working ON a team which is involved with the agency's research project seeking to study the effects of a new clinical intervention funded by NIH. It is experience learning about research projects so I guess that is good enough. We provide clinical case management to the study/research clients/participants and the study lasts for 18-24 months. So for ME it is more clinical than research... Still trying to figure out how to frame that as research in my PS if I apply to a PHD program.. :rolleyes:

I think for right now (this moment) I am still waiting to hear back from the school about my acceptance (I applied pretty late in July)....I have the 2nd interview for the part time job on Friday....at this time I am planning to (if I get accepted) talk things over with my supervisor to see if some plan can be worked out. I really dont want to leave and jump into another clinical position..yea its clinical but I would rather have 2 years of experience with this agency and on this research project than just do part time work.

Did I say I love my job?? It stresses me the heck out but I love it nonetheless. The team is GREAT and very supportive and I kinda need to resolve my anxieties and apprehensions about leaving if it came down to it.

Hello..I am wondering if u know how to make newposts..I just signed up...how can i make a new post from my name?

and a MA is psychology sounds like a cool idea.

mirjana said:
Hello..I am wondering if u know how to make newposts..I just signed up...how can i make a new post from my name?

there is a button new thread on the upper left corner formall-threads list

as for annakei's ma program... i am the last one to give advice but just one point - i am not sure how much having masters will contribute to your job situation, given you have fields experience already. especially if you stay at your job (which you like overall) which you can do if you compromise. on the other hand, if you just take classes and apply without finishing - you'll learn sooner whether you are accepted and if not - could concentrate on filling to gaps to reapply? so overall, i'd vote for 2nd (compromise)

Pros of going back now:

**I would get my Masters in a year
**Fulfill the prereqs for the doctoral program
**I'll be able to get more competitive jobs after obtaining the masters

Cons:

**Part time job...less money
**Potentially pissing off my supervisor and clinical director by telling them Im leaving
**Leaving my GREAT team

If I were to compromise:
**Requirements would be fulfilled and I can apply this year for the doctoral program
**NO masters to fall back on if I dont get accepted
**I get to stay with my team and still make FT money enabling me to help cover costs for the wedding and housebuying

Ok, I can't believe that I just visited a a website for an online university that offers a PhD in psychology online. Now, I realize that this specific program is a general program and not a clinical program, but I can not fathom how this type of program would be a sufficient means of education. Psychology is the study of human behavior and interaction, how can this be done online? Online learning has its place, but when you are earning a degree which will place "Dr." before your name and lead people to trust and confide in you, there must be some level of professional, ethical responsibility. Annekei, please be wary of these programs, I would hate to see you enter into something that is not kosher. Accredited or not, you want to be confident that you are getting the best education possible, not settling for a second rate program that may or may not lead you to the future you are looking for.

Flutterbyu said:
Ok, I can't believe that I just visited a a website for an online university that offers a PhD in psychology online. Now, I realize that this specific program is a general program and not a clinical program, but I can not fathom how this type of program would be a sufficient means of education. Psychology is the study of human behavior and interaction, how can this be done online? Online learning has its place, but when you are earning a degree which will place "Dr." before your name and lead people to trust and confide in you, there must be some level of professional, ethical responsibility. Annekei, please be wary of these programs, I would hate to see you enter into something that is not kosher. Accredited or not, you want to be confident that you are getting the best education possible, not settling for a second rate program that may or may not lead you to the future you are looking for.

I saw that too and no they are NOT accredited. There are some MBA programs that I would agree with being completed online but not a psychology program, even if it isnt clinical. It would just be unreal to complete it ALL online. I also asked my clinical supervisor if she would hire someone like this and she wouldnt. So I decided not to go that path. There is something about learning in a classroom amongst your peers and sharing your experiences that no lonline classroom can mimic.

Right now, still waiting to hear word from my program and also going for second interview this week with the clinical director. Wish mel uck!