Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Havel

Newb
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pre-denatal student and I'm about to finish my second year of college, and I've got to say right now I really hate my major. I hate chemistry, and I hate math (calculus, physics) I want to know if being a dentist really involves having to do calculus and chemistry on a daily basis? Plus in dental school will i actually learn practical things or more of this..this being high lvl science and maths that won't serve me in every day practical ways.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a pre-denatal student and I'm about to finish my second year of college, and I've got to say right now I really hate my major. I hate chemistry, and I hate math (calculus, physics) I want to know if being a dentist really involves having to do calculus and chemistry on a daily basis? Plus in dental school will i actually learn practical things or more of this..this being high lvl science and maths that won't serve me in every day practical ways.

Most probably agree physics and math are least important (which sucks, because I actually enjoy math; I'm majoring in it, actually). Intro classes like chemistry and biology are pretty boring sometimes, but I'd imagine chemistry would be important to an extent being any type of healthcare provider. The reason why hating chemistry and biology would be a bad thing if you strive to be a dentist is because if you truly can't motivate yourself to learn a lot about these topics now, how will you motivate yourself to learn the much more difficult chemistry and biology courses in dental school? If you hate them, but you can still get excellent grades, than it's probably OK. But most people will probably do bad in classes that don't interest them, therefore do bad in dental/medical school, and is therefore probably not the best career choice for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason why hating chemistry and biology would be a bad thing if you strive to be a dentist is because if you truly can't motivate yourself to learn a lot about these topics now, how will you motivate yourself to learn the much more difficult chemistry and biology courses in dental school?

What kind of chemistry and biology classes do you have to take in dental school. Does it actually have something to do with being a dentist? Or is it more weed out crap?

What kind of chemistry and biology classes do you have to take in dental school. Does it actually have something to do with being a dentist? Or is it more weed out crap?

Well when I say chemistry and biology courses, I don't mean stuff like stoichiometry, orbitals, and ecology stuff; stuff like biochemistry. I don't think it's "weed out crap," as you put it. Don't you want your dentist to be highly educated about the chemical and biological processes of your body? You are going to dental/medical school to learn how to treat patients, so it's quite important to know how the body works. We are complex organisms composed of lots of different biochemical processes, therefore it's important to learn them. So I'd say it's definitely not there just to weed you out.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Dental school is a lot of the same old crap. You cram incredible amounts of useless info and then forget 90% of it the next day. Of course there will be some classes with info that will be critical to your future career but those are the minority. If you hate Chemistry and the rest of those mind numbing subjects switch your major. I went with Sociology.:thumbup: