Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my premed days are coming to an end. I started off college with a 3.6-3.7 GPA, then after freshmen year I got seriously depressed my grades suffered throughout sophomore year and into fall of junior year. My grades were between 2.6-3.2. Now I am finally recovering I started going to a clinical psychologist and I am getting better and with it my grades. I am 20 years old and I am in my second semester of junior year recovering from my depression. My grades are horrible, my overall GPA is no more than a 3.2 and I am a biology major, should I opt for a Master's program or try getting into a offshore medical school, thanks for the advice guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, my premed days are coming to an end. I started off college with a 3.6-3.7 GPA, then after freshmen year I got seriously depressed my grades suffered throughout sophomore year and into fall of junior year. My grades were between 2.6-3.2. Now I am finally recovering I started going to a clinical psychologist and I am getting better and with it my grades. I am 20 years old and I am in my second semester of junior year recovering from my depression. My grades are horrible, my overall GPA is no more than a 3.2 and I am a biology major, should I opt for a Master's program or try getting into a offshore medical school, thanks for the advice guys.

Continue to get well. Work hard and bring your grades back up. Take an extra year of undergrad if necessary/possible as this will show as the final year, lots of credits and all good (we hope).

Prepare for the MCAT and take it when you are ready - not sooner. A very good MCAT can show that you are capable of the work.

Figure on getting a good job in clinical or bench research or consulting and work for at least one year before applying. This gives you some maturity and some distance from your poor grades.

Get letters of recommendation on file now, while you are in college. Be sure the pre-med office (if you have one) knows of your illness and your recovery and can address that in your LOR (showing that you were ill, recovered, and are back in the game).

good luck!

Continue to get well. Work hard and bring your grades back up. Take an extra year of undergrad if necessary/possible as this will show as the final year, lots of credits and all good (we hope).

Prepare for the MCAT and take it when you are ready - not sooner. A very good MCAT can show that you are capable of the work.

Figure on getting a good job in clinical or bench research or consulting and work for at least one year before applying. This gives you some maturity and some distance from your poor grades.

Get letters of recommendation on file now, while you are in college. Be sure the pre-med office (if you have one) knows of your illness and your recovery and can address that in your LOR (showing that you were ill, recovered, and are back in the game).

good luck!

hey thanks a lot, I really believe I can do it, I totally have confidence in my skills, I think I will opt for a masters program, I'm finally feeling happier in life, and I think I have the advantage of time :laugh: I mean I'm not like 30 years old and still in undergrad (no offense to all those who are 30 and in undergrad), I am still mad at making some awful grades because I know I am so much better than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey thanks a lot, I really believe I can do it, I totally have confidence in my skills, I think I will opt for a masters program, I'm finally feeling happier in life, and I think I have the advantage of time :laugh: I mean I'm not like 30 years old and still in undergrad (no offense to all those who are 30 and in undergrad), I am still mad at making some awful grades because I know I am so much better than that.
Things happen. Focus on the future to remedy the past. It is time to move on.:)

Things happen. Focus on the future to remedy the past. It is time to move on.:)

hey man, thanks, I keep thinking to myself, of all the times to get depressed I had to get depressed during my premed/undergrad,,,AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!, I'm cool now, I know I'm smart sexy, and single..lol