Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonjovi11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need advice on what to do with my classes. I have done very poorly in my math classes, C in calcI, and D in calcII. All my other science classes are A with the exception of 2 Bs. Do i still have a shot at good med schools or will my math grades screw me over?

I expect a 34 to 37 on MCAT, and have great ECs. My only problem is my math :(

Members don't see this ad.

Well the math isn't too difficult on the MCAT but remember there is no calculators so you want to get some practice in to get that 37....

Well the math isn't too difficult on the MCAT but remember there is no calculators so you want to get some practice in to get that 37....

i know that, but that is what i am getting on practice tests. i took math as a stupid freshman and just did horribly..but all things aside, what are my chances of a decent med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
i know that, but that is what i am getting on practice tests. i took math as a stupid freshman and just did horribly..but all things aside, what are my chances of a decent med school?

What is your overall GPA? Also, would you consider retaking these math classes as you are no longer a "stupid freshman?"

you have a good shot at med school, calculus is just junk (I totally sympathize). I have some bad calculus grades, but I also took statistics and did well so that proves I'm not entirely mathematically-******ed. You might want to look into doing the same.. linear algebra is also an option.
Or you can risk it with Calc III.

Wouldn't "expect" a 34-37 until you write the real exam though. I was a cocky bastard once too, and was subsequently humbled..
Not that it's impossible, just don't be like me and let your self-assurance keep you from studying as much as you should.

But all in all, yes, you have a decent shot at med school.

What is your overall GPA? Also, would you consider retaking these math classes as you are no longer a "stupid freshman?"

Overall is a 3.6. I am also a double major, and I am retaking the first of the two math classes, and am projecting an 'A'. I am going to take second semester calc again next semester as well.