Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

royalslax

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a 2nd year graduate student in a PhD program for biochemistry. Medical school was always in the back of my mind as an possibility, however, my UG grades were just ok and I knew that I could probably not get in, as well as I was not 100 percent decided on my career path after my graduation. After doing these past few years of research, however, I have found myself questioning if getting a PhD is really what I wanted to do. I shadowed a doctor and absolutely loved it, so i decided to take an upper level undergrad bio class and did very well. I guess my question is would finishing with an MS in biochemistry look ok on my application as opposed to the PhD or should I just stick it out and get my PhD (obviously dependent on me passing my candidacy exam this month)? In addition what is your take on the value of publications. I have been in grad school for two years and don't have any, does it look bad to have a graduate degree and not have one? Also for anyone who has had a similar experience, how has your PI taken your decision to get a master's and possibly pursue medical school? Sorry for all these questions! Id appreciate any help or advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a 2nd year graduate student in a PhD program for biochemistry. Medical school was always in the back of my mind as an possibility, however, my UG grades were just ok and I knew that I could probably not get in, as well as I was not 100 percent decided on my career path after my graduation. After doing these past few years of research, however, I have found myself questioning if getting a PhD is really what I wanted to do. I shadowed a doctor and absolutely loved it, so i decided to take an upper level undergrad bio class and did very well. I guess my question is would finishing with an MS in biochemistry look ok on my application as opposed to the PhD or should I just stick it out and get my PhD (obviously dependent on me passing my candidacy exam this month)? In addition what is your take on the value of publications. I have been in grad school for two years and don't have any, does it look bad to have a graduate degree and not have one? Also for anyone who has had a similar experience, how has your PI taken your decision to get a master's and possibly pursue medical school? Sorry for all these questions! Id appreciate any help or advice.

I think an MS looks fine, maybe even better. I don't think med schools look at a PhD and think "woah". I think they are more like "why are they switching?" I don't think they ask that so much with a masters.

Depending on your PI they could be pissed that you are leaving the lab but they will probably understand that this is not what you want to be doing. Very few PIs want you to stay in a path that you don't want to be in just to benefit them.

My advice would be do not stick out the next 3-5 years doing something you don't want to do just to get the PhD. It isn't worth it. Trust me.

I'm applying to med school right now and am similar to you in that going to med school is something I wanted to do for a long time but didn't (for various reasons) and I regret not switching paths sooner. I actually applied to four schools last year and at my one interview both interviewers centered almost all of their questions on why I didn't go to med school before.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am getting my PhD in biochemistry, currently about to my third year. While I do not believe I want to do research as a career, and would like to pursue medical school to be a clinician, is it possible to continue my research in medical school, such as during the summer? By the time I get through applying I will have HOPEFULLY just one year left of my PhD, and it seems silly to just stop when I would be so close. I do not just want to wait to graduate though and waste a year I could be spending in classes. I suppose this is something to discuss with my advisor and possibly an ADCOM, as I do believe they will not consider you if you are still currently enrolled in a program. If you have and suggestions, however, Id greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your help.

I am getting my PhD in biochemistry, currently about to my third year. While I do not believe I want to do research as a career, and would like to pursue medical school to be a clinician, is it possible to continue my research in medical school, such as during the summer? By the time I get through applying I will have HOPEFULLY just one year left of my PhD, and it seems silly to just stop when I would be so close. I do not just want to wait to graduate though and waste a year I could be spending in classes. I suppose this is something to discuss with my advisor and possibly an ADCOM, as I do believe they will not consider you if you are still currently enrolled in a program. If you have and suggestions, however, Id greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your help.

This sounds like a bad setup waiting to happen. My understanding is that you want to finish your research and defend during your first year of medical school. While in the first year of med school and between the summer of first and second year you do have some minimal time to persue extra-cirricular activities, but the odds of you successfully completing your PhD, writing your thesis, and defending while in medical school are very low. Many will look at you as trying to flee your PhD and most will assume you will never complete it. This is a bad situation to be in not just for your own sake, but also adcoms are not going to like it.

Overall, make sure you're on track to finish your PhD before starting. You'd be surprised how much extra time it takes to finish those last experiments, to get your committee to agree to let you go, to write your thesis, to arrange everyone for your defense, etc... If you have extra time between finishing and medical school, save up some money and enjoy life for a few months by travelling the world or something.