Advice

premedtexas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an 18 year old student from Texas. I am still a senior in high school but I am already a junior in college. I was part of a program of early college high schools in Texas, where students in high school get the opportunity to attend college and high school at the same time and end up earning both a college degree and high school diploma at the same time. I will be graduating from high school within two weeks, however I already graduated from my local community college with an Associates Degree when I was a 17 and during my senior year I attended my city's university. I unfortunately didn't do as good as I would have wanted. Since I still attended my high school and the university at the same time along with family reasons I did not have enough time and concentration to study for the much harder exams of my college classes and it hurt my grades. I currently have a 3.0 GPA in college since I earned A's and B's for the most part and a couple of C's along with receiving an F and a D in two classes . I am worried if there is still a chance for me to become a doctor. If so, then should I retake the classes I did poorly on? Also, I was thinking about changing my major from Microbiology to Nursing and become an RN meanwhile and take the extra requirement classes that I need for medical school and then apply for medical school so that I can have a fall back and a well paying job during med school, but I want to know if this is a good choice or not?

Members don't see this ad.

I am an 18 year old student from Texas. I am still a senior in high school but I am already a junior in college. I was part of a program of early college high schools in Texas, where students in high school get the opportunity to attend college and high school at the same time and end up earning both a college degree and high school diploma at the same time. I will be graduating from high school within two weeks, however I already graduated from my local community college with an Associates Degree when I was a 17 and during my senior year I attended my city's university. I unfortunately didn't do as good as I would have wanted. Since I still attended my high school and the university at the same time along with family reasons I did not have enough time and concentration to study for the much harder exams of my college classes and it hurt my grades. I currently have a 3.0 GPA in college since I earned A's and B's for the most part and a couple of C's along with receiving an F and a D in two classes . I am worried if there is still a chance for me to become a doctor. If so, then should I retake the classes I did poorly on? Also, I was thinking about changing my major from Microbiology to Nursing and become an RN meanwhile and take the extra requirement classes that I need for medical school and then apply for medical school so that I can have a fall back and a well paying job during med school, but I want to know if this is a good choice or not?

Will Smith says it best "There is no reason to have a plan B because it distracts from plan A."

So figure out what you want to do and do it. I also don't think there is any way in hell you could work as an RN during med school. Most people do not work during med/professional school.

You still have a chance. Retake what you can/need to and get your GPA up.