Advice?

Started by BeMD13
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BeMD13

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am new to the forum and could use some advice. I already have an undergraduate degree and master's in psychology and recently returned to school hoping to apply to physician assistant programs. Because I was thinking PA school, and most programs accept community college credits, I took all science prerequisite courses at community college. During the three semesters I was taking science courses, I spent time shadowing PAs and realized that I really wanted to go to medical school. Now I am facing the federal financial aid 150% rule in that I will be unable to receive loans to complete any more courses. I still have bio II, microbio (required for PA so I'm registered this semester), biochem, calculus, ochem II and 2 semesters of physics to complete. I know I could switch to a university level now but without federal loans there is no possible way I can pay for the classes. Has anyone ever been in this situation? I am thinking my only option would be to stay at community college where I can afford the tuition and go part time while working. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!
 
I left a post bac program and I'm finishing my chem pre reqs at a community college paying cash since I don't qualify for loans. Not sure how having a masters impacts financial aid for med or PA school though. Honestly just do what you can where you can...
 
Thanks. I talked with a few more people and am probably going to have to figure out a way to at least take a few at a university. Not sure how I am going to do it but I always figure something out.