Jun 7, 2009
New York
Status
Pre-Dental
So i graduated in May with a Bachelors in biochem. & i just applied this past cycle..and am basically losing hope, i had 1 interview and havent heard anything yet. i have a sGPA of 3.3 and oGPA of 3.3. I took my DAT Aug of 08 and had AA of 17 & then again in October 09 for the 2nd time and got the following scores:
Orgo:20
GCHEM:25
BIO: 17
PAT:19
QR: 19
RC:20
TS:20
AA:20
PAT:19

My application was complete pretty late around end of november, beginning of december. I have about 250 hrs of shadowing. It seems like im going to have to reapply again this comming cycle, but was wondering what i should do to increase my chances. Do u guys think i should retake DAT bc of my low bio score? or postbac?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance :)

Apr 4, 2010
Status
IMO, your GPA is low but 3.3 isn't that bad for science.

I would take upper-level bio's fall and the spring as well. There has to be some good classes that you haven't taken. Plus it will help you for dental school. GET YOUR APP in early this year!!!

Your schedule next year could look like this:

Spring:
Anatomy I + Lab
Immunology

Fall:
Anatomy II + Lab
Biochemistry

Just a thought

coolslugs

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2005
Status
Your GPA is fine. Simply take a few classes and continue to volunteer somewhere this coming year. Like what you said...you simply applied too late!

RunDMD2b

7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2010
Status
Dental Student
I agree with the above posters. Also, Be careful about retaking the DAT, because I think you can only take it 3x without having to make a petition. If you decide to retake, you better do your best.

OP
D
Jun 7, 2009
New York
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks for the advice. But do u guys think i should retake the DAT or do you think my scores are good enough to get in somewhere? Im honestly not to picky where i go, but i would just prefer to stay on the east coast, as close to NY as possible.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
just take some post-bacc courses, so that it doesn't look like you sat home and did nothing... and apply SUPER early this year.

I am sorry if I missed it, but how many schools you applied to? BTW You did really nice on the retake 20/20 :thumbup:

OP
D
Jun 7, 2009
New York
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank u dental works! i applied to like 12 schools.. basically all east coast schools in NY,NJ, MA, MD, PA. I stopped volunteering too... i got into 2 car accidents and have been in PT..soo cant reallly do too much yet. But as soon as i feel better, ill start volunteering again. & i guess ill take some upper level bios which i havent taken yet like anatomy.