Advices on clinic volunteer in the Bay Area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gigamax95

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I do not have any experiences in clinic volunteer, and I want to do that now. I'm new to this, please give me your advices.
Could you please advise me into what kind of work that I should choose to do (do the institutions that let you choose what you want to do or they mostly tell you to wash the patients' bed sheets, clean up...) ? Where are the recommended places to do volunteer (I live in Santa Clara city in the Bay Area) or if you like to share your experiences working as a volunteer?

Thanks all for your time,
GM

Members don't see this ad.

I volunteered with Kaiser Hospice Services for a year. They usually have an ad asking for volunteers in the volunteers wanted section of the Arts and Books section of the SJ Mercury News. Volunteering consisted of weekly visits of 2-4 hrs to the home of someone who was in the process of dying in order to provided respite for the primary caregiver. I don't mean to sound morbid, but it was an incredible experience to watch and to be with a person for the last six months of their life.

There are also other "medically related" volunteers wanted ads you could check out also in the above mentioned section of the Sunday SJ Mercury.

well i guess the Berkeley Free Clinic is too far away then

I know mostly SF and will be happy to talk to you about the many clinics there, also the SFGH emergency dept volunteer prog. Closer to SC, I'm sure there are things going on in Santa Clara Valley Medical Ctr (hospital and clinics) as well as Stanford (not likely hurting for help though). As for washing things, admin scut--happens a lot, but it's the give and take of volunteering.

Good luck