Advise For Interview At Sco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tweety21st

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm so excited that I found this forum today. I wish I know about it earlier. But anyways, I just applied to 5 optometry school and got 3 interview from SCO, ICO, and PCO.

My first interview is at SCO next Friday. Have anyone applied or got an interview from there? And do you know anything interesting about the school? All I know is that it's the least expensive. This is one of my "safety schools.

Any advice would be appreciative. Thank you :)

~tweety21st

Members don't see this ad.

If you click on my name, you can find more posts by me and just look at the titles, there are several about SCO.
btw, I'm now in my third quarter of second year so feel free to throw any questions my way.

Thank you for your quick response. I do have some questions:

Is there any combined programs in addition to OD that are offered at SCO (i.e. MS or Ph. D in Vision Science)?

What characteristics of SCO that is consider more attractive than other schools beside its low cost of living and tuition?

What is the student-teacher ratio?

When do you start your clinical training? and when do you get exposure to clinical setting (in your 1st year or 2nd year?)

Do do get in state tutition in your 2nd year?

What is the learning environment there like; are the students competitive or do you guys help each other study for tests?

Is there a mentoring program available where 1st year students are paired up with 2nd year students?

How do you like living in Memphis? What is your avg cost of rent for room in a house? a one bedroom appartment? or sharing a 2 bedroom house/appartment?

Thank you so much for your input!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year at SCO, and I can answer a few of those. There are no combined programs here (no PhD or MS). What makes it attractive? High board scores and the largest clinic in the nation are the first things that come to mind. I would look into the board scores for all of the schools you are interested in. Some schools are rather abysmal. Sometimes the only way to find out is in their brochures or by asking them. Overall the faculty is good, and it's a very friendly atmosphere here. The facilities are top notch. With all the space that the Eye Center freed up, there are plenty of comfy study and hangout spots around the tower with more to come. There is no way to get instate tuition your second year. It's not competitive here. Everyone wants you to succeed. Once you get your OD, most employers won't even care much about your grades if at all anyways. We have a big sib program where we're paired up with a second year. We get some old tests from them, and I've asked her a few questions. I pay $342 a month for my share of a 4 bedroom apartment on Mud Island, quite possibly the nicest area you can live. Rent tends to run anywhere from $300-$400 something for most people. Oh yeah and I love Memphis. Good barbecue too.

If you get a chance when you come for you interview, try to swing by Mud Island (it's across a bridge right next to that big pyramid and the river). It's gorgeous and a lot of students live there. Don't let some of the more ghetto areas get you down. Memphis has nice areas too.

stevec said:
I'm a first year at SCO, and I can answer a few of those. There are no combined programs here (no PhD or MS). What makes it attractive? High board scores and the largest clinic in the nation are the first things that come to mind. I would look into the board scores for all of the schools you are interested in. Some schools are rather abysmal. Sometimes the only way to find out is in their brochures or by asking them. Overall the faculty is good, and it's a very friendly atmosphere here. The facilities are top notch. With all the space that the Eye Center freed up, there are plenty of comfy study and hangout spots around the tower with more to come. There is no way to get instate tuition your second year. It's not competitive here. Everyone wants you to succeed. Once you get your OD, most employers won't even care much about your grades if at all anyways. We have a big sib program where we're paired up with a second year. We get some old tests from them, and I've asked her a few questions. I pay $342 a month for my share of a 4 bedroom apartment on Mud Island, quite possibly the nicest area you can live. Rent tends to run anywhere from $300-$400 something for most people. Oh yeah and I love Memphis. Good barbecue too.

If you get a chance when you come for you interview, try to swing by Mud Island (it's across a bridge right next to that big pyramid and the river). It's gorgeous and a lot of students live there. Don't let some of the more ghetto areas get you down. Memphis has nice areas too.

This really helps me get a picture of Memphis. Thank you Stevec!

stevec said:

Also, for the part where interviewrs ask if you have any questions for them, what did you ask them? What do you think I should ask about to get a rise out of them so that they know I have look into going here for a while?

When do you start your clinical training? and when do you get exposure to clinical setting (in your 1st year or 2nd year?)
Your second year you start working in the pre-testing area for one of your labs and you also have certain days where you go to the clinic and shadow a 4th year doing exams in each department (primary care, pediatrics, ocular disease, contact lens).

What is the learning environment there like; are the students competitive or do you guys help each other study for tests?
My class is very good at helping each other out. We're constantly sending out e-mails for study guides people type up or helpful links they find.

Is there a mentoring program available where 1st year students are paired up with 2nd year students?
Steve mentioned the big sib program. Also, there is tutoring available for you in any class you are taking. If you need/want a tutor, you contact someone at the school and they set you up with an upper classman to tutor you.

How do you like living in Memphis? What is your avg cost of rent for room in a house? a one bedroom appartment? or sharing a 2 bedroom house/appartment? I also really enjoy living in memphis! Lots of students live on Mud Island (if you go north on front street and take a left north of the pyramid onto auction, you are taken across the wolf river to mud island; the bridge south of the pyramid takes you across the mississippi river to Arkansas). The prices range on mud island depending on which apt. complex you live in.

Did I mention Mud Island was gorgeous?
70367293_93f5715e10_o.jpg

greenbeltpark.jpg

edit: We really start clinical training first year with Theory and Methods, but we don't actually do stuff in the real clinic yet. I think I asked my interviewer something about how SCO helps people with the business aspect of optometry and finding a job. I know I asked some other stuff, but I can't remember. Heck, if all else fails, ask something you already know, just so you have something to talk about. Oh yeah, the tutoring mentioned above is free. (There's a questions for you, ask them if they have free tutoring. :laugh: )

Thank you so much...THis really helps!

sco1styear said:

Your second year you start working in the pre-testing area for one of your labs and you also have certain days where you go to the clinic and shadow a 4th year doing exams in each department (primary care, pediatrics, ocular disease, contact lens).

My class is very good at helping each other out. We're constantly sending out e-mails for study guides people type up or helpful links they find.

Steve mentioned the big sib program. Also, there is tutoring available for you in any class you are taking. If you need/want a tutor, you contact someone at the school and they set you up with an upper classman to tutor you.

How do you like living in Memphis? What is your avg cost of rent for room in a house? a one bedroom appartment? or sharing a 2 bedroom house/appartment? I also really enjoy living in memphis! Lots of students live on Mud Island (if you go north on front street and take a left north of the pyramid onto auction, you are taken across the wolf river to mud island; the bridge south of the pyramid takes you across the mississippi river to Arkansas). The prices range on mud island depending on which apt. complex you live in. Riverset is the cheapest and oldest (16yrs old) but it is still nice and the apartments are pretty good sized. If you look at apts and prices be sure to see which places give student discounts and how much they are.

Steve, you should take pics of the houses down the island. I sometimes have a hard time trying to decide if I would rather look at the river or at them! haha

sco1styear said:
Steve, you should take pics of the houses down the island. I sometimes have a hard time trying to decide if I would rather look at the river or at them! haha
That's all I got. I took that pic because it reminds me of Charleston. I'm from South Carolina.
likecharleston.jpg

Thanks for the photos...Mud Island looks beautiful! I look forward to going there. Also, I'm flying there Thursday morning and my interview is on Friday. ANy advice as to where to go and what to do there in Memphis?

stevec said:
That's all I got. I took that pic because it reminds me of Charleston. I'm from South Carolina.
likecharleston.jpg

tweety21st said:
Thanks for the photos...Mud Island looks beautiful! I look forward to going there. Also, I'm flying there Thursday morning and my interview is on Friday. ANy advice as to where to go and what to do there in Memphis?

https://www.swpsych.org/2005/graesseronmemphis.html
This website seemed to have some good info on it. It is a little outdated because the pyramid is no longer used for games and concerts, we now have the fedex forum that is used.

My suggestion would be to go downtown and walk around for a bit. Peabody place road runs east to west and there are three parking garages on the road that are great to park in. You are then close to beale street and can explore that some. Depending on which garage you park in (there are three peabody parking garages) you can get your parking ticket validated at different locations. These places just stamp your ticket and it knocks a little bit off of the price. The peabody hotel is a nice place to go and look around, there are stores inside. And there is also the "peabody place" that is a sort of mall but just has a couple stores.
There are numerous places downtown to eat. If you want to eat bbq while downtown, rendezvous is famous. It's a neat place and the food is good. But, the best bbq (in my opinion) is at the bbq shop which is east of sco (down madison). If you drive down madison you will see several places to eat. There's Mollie's which is mexican, the memphis pizza co. (excellent), bosco's (nicer place to eat), Huey's (famous for hamburgers and located virtually all across Memphis, you can find this downtown too - it's a favorite with locals and tourists).
If you look at a map you can see that getting from place to place is not complicated. From front street (which runs north to south) you can easily get to mud island, downtown, and sco.
If you have some more time, poplar is a good road to explore on. It's a major road and while closer to downtown doesn't look like much, once you get a little further east there are lots of shops and restaurants. There's also a mall down poplar (Oak Court Mall).
You could also visit Graceland - just to see it if you don't want to pay to go on a tour. It's pretty neat.
Ok, I've rambled enough - anymore questions, just let us know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay...I feel super prepare for my trip now. Thank you Stevec.

sco1styear said:
https://www.swpsych.org/2005/graesseronmemphis.html
This website seemed to have some good info on it. It is a little outdated because the pyramid is no longer used for games and concerts, we now have the fedex forum that is used.

My suggestion would be to go downtown and walk around for a bit. Peabody place road runs east to west and there are three parking garages on the road that are great to park in. You are then close to beale street and can explore that some. Depending on which garage you park in (there are three peabody parking garages) you can get your parking ticket validated at different locations. These places just stamp your ticket and it knocks a little bit off of the price. The peabody hotel is a nice place to go and look around, there are stores inside. And there is also the "peabody place" that is a sort of mall but just has a couple stores.
There are numerous places downtown to eat. If you want to eat bbq while downtown, rendezvous is famous. It's a neat place and the food is good. But, the best bbq (in my opinion) is at the bbq shop which is east of sco (down madison). If you drive down madison you will see several places to eat. There's Mollie's which is mexican, the memphis pizza co. (excellent), bosco's (nicer place to eat), Huey's (famous for hamburgers and located virtually all across Memphis, you can find this downtown too - it's a favorite with locals and tourists).
If you look at a map you can see that getting from place to place is not complicated. From front street (which runs north to south) you can easily get to mud island, downtown, and sco.
If you have some more time, poplar is a good road to explore on. It's a major road and while closer to downtown doesn't look like much, once you get a little further east there are lots of shops and restaurants. There's also a mall down poplar (Oak Court Mall).
You could also visit Graceland - just to see it if you don't want to pay to go on a tour. It's pretty neat.
Ok, I've rambled enough - anymore questions, just let us know!

stevec said:
likecharleston.jpg

looks just like it did when i went to school in memphis. except, in version of memphis that i recall there would be someone in the background getting mugged, and someone trying to break into a car.

Should I be worry? I heard that the crime rate in Memphis is really high. Does anyone know what the figure is?

drgregory said:
looks just like it did when i went to school in memphis. except, in version of memphis that i recall there would be someone in the background getting mugged, and someone trying to break into a car.

tweety21st said:
Should I be worry? I heard that the crime rate in Memphis is really high. Does anyone know what the figure is?

High. It's one of the highest. But it depends on which area you are in. Mud Island has next to zero crime rate but if you go into south memphis you might as well just hold up a sign that says "take my car and all my belongings"! The school has security and guarded parking. You just have to be smart, just like in any major city. Don't vernture towards parts of town you don't know, especially at night. Don't leave anything in your car that someone could see and possibly want or think they might want.

hi steve,

thanx for ur answer on my post earlier. wow, ur only paying $342 a month on mud island..that's really good. would u mind telling me which apt ur staying at? i really want a 2 bed/2bth...is it possible to get that on mud island for about $400 on mud island? did u get a student discount? do they have any other discounts maybe like closer to summer?

eye_candie said:
hi steve,

thanx for ur answer on my post earlier. wow, ur only paying $342 a month on mud island..that's really good. would u mind telling me which apt ur staying at? i really want a 2 bed/2bth...is it possible to get that on mud island for about $400 on mud island? did u get a student discount? do they have any other discounts maybe like closer to summer?

He lives in the arbors with 3 other guys. I wouldn't recommend it :)
I think they prob. have student discount

It is very possible to get a 2bed/2bth for around $400 on mud island (that would be splitting it w/ a roommate).

how come u wouldn't recommend it? is it the 4bedroom apt or the arbors? i was thinking about riverset...seems to be the cheapest on mud island. if you don't mind me asking...where do you stay? how many bedroom and how much do u pay. thank you:)

sco1styear said:
He lives in the arbors with 3 other guys. I wouldn't recommend it :)
I think they prob. have student discount

It is very possible to get a 2bed/2bth for around $400 on mud island (that would be splitting it w/ a roommate).

eye_candie said:
how come u wouldn't recommend it? is it the 4bedroom apt or the arbors? i was thinking about riverset...seems to be the cheapest on mud island. if you don't mind me asking...where do you stay? how many bedroom and how much do u pay. thank you:)

I sent you a pm

Hey Tweety21st, I have an interview there this Friday, too! See ya there :cool: .

Hey TommyGuns...It was nice meeting you and your dad. Hopefully, we all get in and become classmates. That would be awesome. Memphis is really nice and affordable to live. I would love to live there for 4 years. :)

TommyGuns said:
Hey Tweety21st, I have an interview there this Friday, too! See ya there :cool: .

tweety21st said:
Hey TommyGuns...It was nice meeting you and your dad. Hopefully, we all get in and become classmates. That would be awesome. Memphis is really nice and affordable to live. I would love to live there for 4 years. :)

How did the interviews go? Who interviewed you?

I was interviewed by Dr. Sanford and I went over my file with Robin Graves. They were both really nice! Dr. Sanford was really talkative and energetic... I think she spoke like half of the time.

Hey Tweety, it was awesome meeting ya, too! Huey's was awesome, eh? Their burgers and onion rings are amazing. I'd love to live in Memphis (VERY different from Ontario :D). Mud Island is gorgeous. Graceland is cool. The clinic at SCO is beautiful... :eek: This face sums up my reaction upon seeing the clinic.

Haha when we were getting toured, Tweety and I were like, "I wonder if we'll run into stevec or sco1styear."

PS: Tweety, my dad thinks you're cool :laugh:.

I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Memphis! :) And you're right, Huey's burgers are amazing; mud island is gorgeous; graceland is pretty cool; and our clinic will make your jaw drop!!
That would have been funny if we had ran into you. I often see the people on the tour and wonder if it's anyone from here.
Good luck!

sco1styear said:
How did the interviews go? Who interviewed you?

The interview went great! I was very impressed with SCO's students, staff, and their clinic. Everyone is so genuinely nice and humble and only there to help us and make sure our visit is a pleasant one and that all of our questions are answered. Dr. Damari interviewed me. He was straight forward and I think I did really well. I just hope they have a fairly short alternate list because all of their seats are offered. But I should hear back from them within this week and will let you know as soon as I hear from them.

tweety21st said:
The interview went great! I was very impressed with SCO's students, staff, and their clinic. Everyone is so genuinely nice and humble and only there to help us and make sure our visit is a pleasant one and that all of our questions are answered. Dr. Damari interviewed me. He was straight forward and I think I did really well. I just hope they have a fairly short alternate list because all of their seats are offered. But I should hear back from them within this week and will let you know as soon as I hear from them.

Good luck! I really like Dr. Damari - he's always straight forward and tells it how it is. I'm sure you did really well, otherwise he would have probably told you :laugh:
Glad you enjoyed the visit.

Hey Tommy...Have you heard from SCO?

Sunnie had called me and told me I'm on the alternate list (#2)!!!! YAH!!!!!!!!! THat's a good place to be :)

TommyGuns said:
I was interviewed by Dr. Sanford and I went over my file with Robin Graves. They were both really nice! Dr. Sanford was really talkative and energetic... I think she spoke like half of the time.

Hey Tweety, it was awesome meeting ya, too! Huey's was awesome, eh? Their burgers and onion rings are amazing. I'd love to live in Memphis (VERY different from Ontario :D). Mud Island is gorgeous. Graceland is cool. The clinic at SCO is beautiful... :eek: This face sums up my reaction upon seeing the clinic.

Haha when we were getting toured, Tweety and I were like, "I wonder if we'll run into stevec or sco1styear."

PS: Tweety, my dad thinks you're cool :laugh:.

tweety21st said:
Hey Tommy...Have you heard from SCO?

Sunnie had called me and told me I'm on the alternate list (#2)!!!! YAH!!!!!!!!! THat's a good place to be :)

Congrats!

Hey Tweety, congratulations! :thumbup: Yeah, Dr. Hauser called me yesterday and told me I'm #1 on the alternate list!! I nearly fell to the floor when I heard that :). I guess we blew them away during the interview, eh?

Thanks for all your support sco1styear and stevec and others on this forum. We wouldn't have gotten this far without ya'll :cool:.

Can't wait till fall :D.

PS: Tweety, I NOW remember the street my dad and I walked down. It was called Beale St. and it was awesome. They closed off the street, there was live music everywhere, very upbeat, so many people... Good times!

Cobngrats!!! Hey Let's exchange email addresses. My is [email protected]. I lost Monica's email and I'm so pissed. She probably lost mine too. Oh well. Hopefully she joins this forum. Have you made your decision as to where you're going?

TommyGuns said:
Hey Tweety, congratulations! :thumbup: Yeah, Dr. Hauser called me yesterday and told me I'm #1 on the alternate list!! I nearly fell to the floor when I heard that :). I guess we blew them away during the interview, eh?

Thanks for all your support sco1styear and stevec and others on this forum. We wouldn't have gotten this far without ya'll :cool:.

Can't wait till fall :D.

PS: Tweety, I NOW remember the street my dad and I walked down. It was called Beale St. and it was awesome. They closed off the street, there was live music everywhere, very upbeat, so many people... Good times!

tweety21st said:
Cobngrats!!! Hey Let's exchange email addresses. My is [email protected]. I lost Monica's email and I'm so pissed. She probably lost mine too. Oh well. Hopefully she joins this forum. Have you made your decision as to where you're going?

Hey, mine's [email protected].

I have made my decision: I am going to attend SCO this fall! But, I don't want to get my hopes up too high because I haven't been accepted off the alternate list yet. I need just ONE person to give up their seat! Any takers? :laugh: How did your other interviews go? Have you made a decision yet?

TommyGuns said:
Hey, mine's [email protected].

I have made my decision: I am going to attend SCO this fall! But, I don't want to get my hopes up too high because I haven't been accepted off the alternate list yet. I need just ONE person to give up their seat! Any takers? :laugh: How did your other interviews go? Have you made a decision yet?

See you guys next fall :)