Advise me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercedesG55

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am struggling with the idea of applying to medical schools and I was wondering whether you guys can perhaps give me a quick evaluation on whether I stand a chance of getting into MSTP programs...

I am a student at the University of Michigan pursuing Economics and Biomedical Engineering. MCAT - 41; BCPM - 3.54; AO - 3.808; My GPA has a clear upward trend... first year of college included a lot of B's and a C with a few A's here and there. But since then I haven't received anything other than an A or A+ for about 3 semesters. Unfortunately, a lot of my science classes (orgo, biochem) were taken during my first year in college.

I have a little more than a year worth of research experience related to biomedical engineering (all in one lab). Half a year of research in a basic science laboratory (done concurrently to mainly learn techniques/thought process to aid in analyzing our device invivo) and some social science research experience. Submitted one paper just recently; working on getting a patent for a device with a grad student; several posters/conferences etc. I have published one paper where I am a secondary author that does an economic analysis of medical innovation. I am pretty sure I have good recommendations.

I have done some volunteer work (total hours spent are probably too few to deserve mentioning) and shadowed one doctor for about a month. I didn't have time to focus on this aspect of my application but I think I can legitimately explain my reasons/commitment for being a doctor since like everyone in my family/extended family is a doctor, so I have been around the "scene" since I was born.

My concern with the application process is that my GPA might be too low to get into MSTP programs. I was hoping if someone can comment on whether I should apply this year or if I need to wait a year and bring that GPA up? Also, I am not sure how important it is to have like 2 or 3 yrs of research experience when you apply? Since I am graduating early, I only have a little more than a year's worth of research experience (although I feel like it has been quite fruitful) which brings another reason for me to wait another year... Another concern is that my strong interest in economics and public health might be a distraction when I apply to MSTP programs... just some things that are going through my mind.

Also, I just started a research rotation (this week) with a professor at my top program for MSTP and his lab does more or less the same work I am involved with at Michigan and I will probably choose his lab for graduate studies if I get into this program. I was wondering if it would be unethical to perhaps have him talk/write a letter etc. to the admissions say in September...

AH... this is so tough. Any advice would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend applying as soon as possible, unless you think you can dramatically increase your odds.

41 MCAT speakers louder than any GPA. Plus your GPA isnt' that low.

Are you garenteed a spot anywhere? No. Should you be able to get in somewhere? Yes

Are you sure you want to do MDPhD? It's SUCH a big commitment.

mercedesG55 said:
I am a student at the University of Michigan pursuing Economics and Biomedical Engineering. MCAT - 41; BCPM - 3.54; AO - 3.808; My GPA has a clear upward trend... first year of college included a lot of B's and a C with a few A's here and there. But since then I haven't received anything other than an A or A+ for about 3 semesters. Unfortunately, a lot of my science classes (orgo, biochem) were taken during my first year in college.

My concern with the application process is that my GPA might be too low to get into MSTP programs. I was hoping if someone can comment on whether I should apply this year or if I need to wait a year and bring that GPA up? Also, I am not sure how important it is to have like 2 or 3 yrs of research experience when you apply? Since I am graduating early, I only have a little more than a year's worth of research experience (although I feel like it has been quite fruitful) which brings another reason for me to wait another year... Another concern is that my strong interest in economics and public health might be a distraction when I apply to MSTP programs... just some things that are going through my mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for replying. I am committed to pursuing a MDPhD, I am not questioning that. I am just worried about applying this year considering I have only been in college for 2 years (although took summer sessions/research) and since my science GPA is kind of low. I just realized that my science GPA won't increase if I wait a year since all my classes are either biomed engineering or economics next year.... so I guess I won't increase my chances a lot by waiting.

Also, I was wondering if someone can comment on asking a PI from one of my top choices to talk to admissions or write a letter... is that unethical. My PI at michigan basically left it at "you should give yourself the best chance of getting into the program of your choice" (i hate him when he pretends to be the father figure and does the whole ambiguous thing)

Another thing just entered into the equation just now... I just got accepted into the accelerated (combined undergrad/masters option) MPH program in epidemiology at U of M... not sure if I should stick for that and get that before I start my MD/PhD studies or get that later if I still feel like I need it. Any ideas on when one should get a MPH (before or after)
?
sluox said:
I would recommend applying as soon as possible, unless you think you can dramatically increase your odds.

41 MCAT speakers louder than any GPA. Plus your GPA isnt' that low.

Are you garenteed a spot anywhere? No. Should you be able to get in somewhere? Yes

Are you sure you want to do MDPhD? It's SUCH a big commitment.

mercedesG55 said:
Thanks for replying. I am committed to pursuing a MDPhD, I am not questioning that. I am just worried about applying this year considering I have only been in college for 2 years (although took summer sessions/research) and since my science GPA is kind of low. I just realized that my science GPA won't increase if I wait a year since all my classes are either biomed engineering or economics next year.... so I guess I won't increase my chances a lot by waiting.

Also, I was wondering if someone can comment on asking a PI from one of my top choices to talk to admissions or write a letter... is that unethical. My PI at michigan basically left it at "you should give yourself the best chance of getting into the program of your choice" (i hate him when he pretends to be the father figure and does the whole ambiguous thing)

Another thing just entered into the equation just now... I just got accepted into the accelerated (combined undergrad/masters option) MPH program in epidemiology at U of M... not sure if I should stick for that and get that before I start my MD/PhD studies or get that later if I still feel like I need it. Any ideas on when one should get a MPH (before or after)
?

Is it the molecular MPH program that you got into at UM? I know that some of the requirements for this overlap with undergrad.

If this is the case, when I was in that program, it was really just an avenue for most of the students to get into medical school, your grades/scores are good enough, you probably don't need that. However, (and this is a big however) if you want to get a PhD in Epid in the MSTP at UM, then consider doing the MPH, it will make the process of getting the PhD much easier. However don't waste years doing this, take a shot at MSTPs and use the MPH thing as a back up. I know someone who by combining the undergrad and grad did the molecular program and still got out in 4 years, its possible. If you want to do a PhD, then this is the only way that I would do it, but even so . . .

I've been in the Epid program there, and trust me, the only reason to do the MPH (for someone with your interests) is if you want to do public health (epid) type research but want to pursue a PhD in another field, and if that is the case, DO NOT go into the Molecular program, go to the General Epid program.

Hope I haven't babbled too much, email me if you want some clarity. Good Luck, Go Blue!

If you can finish your degree by next year, then go for it. Just keep in mind that most programs typically don't let you start until you finish your undergrad unless you have a good reason.

Unless the PI is real bigwig who knows a lot of important people on the admissions committee, I'm not sure if it would help any.

Like others have said, your GPA and MCAT are definitely competitive. Write good essays that showcase your research experiences and let them know you're committed to research and MSTP. Get some good letters of rec' and practice interviewing. Apply to a wide range of schools and you'll be fine.

-X

mercedesG55 said:
Thanks for replying. I am committed to pursuing a MDPhD, I am not questioning that. I am just worried about applying this year considering I have only been in college for 2 years (although took summer sessions/research) and since my science GPA is kind of low.
?

xanthines said:
If you can finish your degree by next year, then go for it. Just keep in mind that most programs typically don't let you start until you finish your undergrad unless you have a good reason.

You sure about this xanthines? I thought you MUST have a degree to matric into an MSTP. Could be wrong, though

I was actually accepted into the international health epi program. Although (because of my undergrad status?), I am allowed to switch within the department without have to petition. I am most likely going for a PhD in bioengineering, so I wouldn't really be able to use the knowledge from MPH in my PhD work; i pretty much want to do it because I think I will enjoy it and it gives me one more years worth of coursework and research experience.

If I do matriculate into the combined program, I will definately get out in 4 years but I am on schedule to graduate next year (3 years for undergrad). I could probably get out in next year with the MPH, but that will entail working really hard and probably being over the fulltime courseload for atleast a semester. I plan on discussing with an advisor soon whether I can matriculate into the program and leave early if I am offered a MSTP spot somewhere where I would want to go, if it isn't u of M of course. I think the general consensus is that I should go ahead apply this year? Because I am done with my application and ready to submit.

mendel121 said:
Is it the molecular MPH program that you got into at UM? I know that some of the requirements for this overlap with undergrad.

If this is the case, when I was in that program, it was really just an avenue for most of the students to get into medical school, your grades/scores are good enough, you probably don't need that. However, (and this is a big however) if you want to get a PhD in Epid in the MSTP at UM, then consider doing the MPH, it will make the process of getting the PhD much easier. However don't waste years doing this, take a shot at MSTPs and use the MPH thing as a back up. I know someone who by combining the undergrad and grad did the molecular program and still got out in 4 years, its possible. If you want to do a PhD, then this is the only way that I would do it, but even so . . .

I've been in the Epid program there, and trust me, the only reason to do the MPH (for someone with your interests) is if you want to do public health (epid) type research but want to pursue a PhD in another field, and if that is the case, DO NOT go into the Molecular program, go to the General Epid program.

Hope I haven't babbled too much, email me if you want some clarity. Good Luck, Go Blue!

mercedesG55 said:
I was actually accepted into the international health epi program. Although (because of my undergrad status?), I am allowed to switch within the department without have to petition. I am most likely going for a PhD in bioengineering, so I wouldn't really be able to use the knowledge from MPH in my PhD work; i pretty much want to do it because I think I will enjoy it and it gives me one more years worth of coursework and research experience.

If I do matriculate into the combined program, I will definately get out in 4 years but I am on schedule to graduate next year (3 years for undergrad). I could probably get out in next year with the MPH, but that will entail working really hard and probably being over the fulltime courseload for atleast a semester. I plan on discussing with an advisor soon whether I can matriculate into the program and leave early if I am offered a MSTP spot somewhere where I would want to go, if it isn't u of M of course. I think the general consensus is that I should go ahead apply this year? Because I am done with my application and ready to submit.

Yes, sluox et al are right, you should definately apply now. If bioengineering is your thing, then I guess (from the perspective of someone with an MPH) I don't see the international health MPH as worth it (especially since this will require you to spend a summer overseas). If you get into an MSTP, then your qualifications are more than adequate for whatever you might want to do. THere's no harm in hedging your bets and joining SPH this year, as long as it won't delay your graduation, then if you get into an MSTP, etc, just leave SPH, no big deal, they will understand.