advise needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waq007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everybody! lol

quick question. doing a double major in kinesiology and business. completing both in 4 yrs instead of 5 by taking full course load in the summers. my primary major is a specialized honours BSc and the second one also gives me a professional certificate in marketing. i got excellent extracurriculars and tons of community and school involvement. i like to donate my time to help others...hence the reason D.O. over MD (not bashn MDs), and actually took the initiative and am kinda incharge of a new program at York University (Toronto) that promotes research and gives A LOT of opportunities to undergraduate students so they can learn the practicalities of their field and get paid handsomely in doing so. seriously, i just do stuff from the bottom of my heart. only problem is that cuz i'm doing a specialized honours, a second major, running the research program, volunteern as the External Affairs Coordinator for our kinesiology student organization, and workn a parttime job, there is no way i can complete the prerequisites, i.e. chemistry (btw it says 8 credit hours of inorganic and 8 credit hours for organic...if one full year chem [1st year] is 6 credits with labs which teaches both....would that fulfill the chem requirement?), physics, english. i have done bio and psychology cuz they were part of my program. we do a lot of physiology and anatomy as well as biomechanics (where lots of physics is involved). is there any chance D.O. would accept me? my GPA is alrite, like a B to B+. my first choice would be MSUCOM cuz its closer to home (toronto). thnx everyone for ur advice, comments. greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

waq007 said:
hello everybody! lol

quick question. doing a double major in kinesiology and business. completing both in 4 yrs instead of 5 by taking full course load in the summers. my primary major is a specialized honours BSc and the second one also gives me a professional certificate in marketing. i got excellent extracurriculars and tons of community and school involvement. i like to donate my time to help others...hence the reason D.O. over MD (not bashn MDs), and actually took the initiative and am kinda incharge of a new program at York University (Toronto) that promotes research and gives A LOT of opportunities to undergraduate students so they can learn the practicalities of their field and get paid handsomely in doing so. seriously, i just do stuff from the bottom of my heart. only problem is that cuz i'm doing a specialized honours, a second major, running the research program, volunteern as the External Affairs Coordinator for our kinesiology student organization, and workn a parttime job, there is no way i can complete the prerequisites, i.e. chemistry (btw it says 8 credit hours of inorganic and 8 credit hours for organic...if one full year chem [1st year] is 6 credits with labs which teaches both....would that fulfill the chem requirement?), physics, english. i have done bio and psychology cuz they were part of my program. we do a lot of physiology and anatomy as well as biomechanics (where lots of physics is involved). is there any chance D.O. would accept me? my GPA is alrite, like a B to B+. my first choice would be MSUCOM cuz its closer to home (toronto). thnx everyone for ur advice, comments. greatly appreciated.

it's my understanding that you pretty much MUST complete the appropriate number of prerequisite hours in order to matriculate into med school (MD or DO). you could be accepted w/o the completed hours, but you would need to complete them before med school starting (IE in the summer)

You are much better off having a single major, completing the pre-requisites, and doing well on them than having a double major. The schools are telling you exactly what they want and that is what you should give them. Doing something else, albeit it seems like it is more difficult and more impressive, will do little to help you where-as doing everything you are told and doing it well will do much to help you. Allopathic students donate their time to others also so please don't be fooled into thinking that this is an osteopathic trait because it is a human trait. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with whats been said. You will not gain entrance to any school (allo or osteo) without 1 year chem, 1 year ochem, 1 year bio, 1 year physics, period. And here's the kicker- you gotta get only A's and B's in these classes to be competitive- shoot for as many A's as you can. Besides, you cannot do well on the MCAT without these classes as this is the material that is tested and forms the basic science background that is minimally needed to get by in med school. I'd personally recommend also taking biochem, genetics, and anatomy/physio before starting. Good luck!

waq007 said:
hello everybody! lol

kinesiology is awesome. my school called it exercise science and more recently changed the name to kinesiology. i think it is a great degree to complement a physician's training!

if i understand you correctly, you said your 1 year of general chem was worth 6 credits w/ a lab? that's kind of weird...usually when there is a lab it is 4 credits or 8 total for the year. maybe your school is different and that 3 credit class w/ a lab is equivalent to most peoples' 4 credit lab classes. you might want to check into that.

otherwise what the above posters recommend is good advice!

thnx everyone who replied. i'm not doing a double major for the fun of it or to impress anyone/any school. i just like business and have a better understandn of it so wanted some formal education in it. i like the do it the summer before thing. but i got the bottom line, do the prereqs or u won't get in (or do good on the MCAT)