Advise of more experienced IM physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananas85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I needed your opinion. I am graduating in June from Internal Medicine Residency

I have a hospitalist job signed with Texas. The medical board is going through my licensure and people are telling me Texas is notoriously slow with licensure. If they take there sweet time, I might have a 2-3 month gap after graduation where I am jobless.

In an ideal world I could just veg out, but this is not an option. I need an income, (my student loans will kick in too). I was thinking about applying for an Indiana license, and working locums in Indiana. Do government positions like VA have locums as well? if so I can work those too?

The reason I was looking at Indiana license is cause its cheap and has a fast turn around. Does this sound like a solid plan?

Members don't see this ad.

I needed your opinion. I am graduating in June from Internal Medicine Residency

I have a hospitalist job signed with Texas. The medical board is going through my licensure and people are telling me Texas is notoriously slow with licensure. If they take there sweet time, I might have a 2-3 month gap after graduation where I am jobless.

In an ideal world I could just veg out, but this is not an option. I need an income, (my student loans will kick in too). I was thinking about applying for an Indiana license, and working locums in Indiana. Do government positions like VA have locums as well? if so I can work those too?

The reason I was looking at Indiana license is cause its cheap and has a fast turn around. Does this sound like a solid plan?

If you can get any us state license you can work federal Locums anywhere in the country with that. But as said before, credentialing takes looooong. Unless they are really desperate and you are willing to travel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys license obtained!! Yay!! Wasn't half as bad as people told me it would be. Once everything was in. It took 15 days

Reactions: 1 user