Advise on career path

Started by oncprep
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

oncprep

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am a PGY2 internal medicine resident. I will be applying to hem-onc fellowship next year and my credentials are as follows-

IMG, J1 visa
University based community program
Good LORs
Research internship at MD Anderson Cancer center
7 posters - (one at ASH and ASCO each as 2nd author, one at an international symposium as 1st author)
One research project going which might not finish before I apply.
Presentation at Tumor board
Transfusion committee

I am interested in malignant hematology and translational research. Understanding that I am a foreign graduate, I will be applying broadly to about 90 programs. I am also considering taking up a hospitalist position (7 on, 7 off) in the event that I don't match. While doing so, I plan to enroll in an experimental therapeutics academic program on my days off. Two questions:

1. The cliched, is there anything more I can do to enhance my resume?
2. How do you feel about doing the experimental therapeutics program?
 
1. The cliched, is there anything more I can do to enhance my resume?
2. How do you feel about doing the experimental therapeutics program?
1. Not really.

2. How do you feel about it? It has a low (but non-zero) likelihood of helping you and virtually no chance of harming you, aside from the fact that you'll be working 34 days a month if you try to combine it with a hospitalist job. Have you actually spoken to the director of the program and current "fellows" about doing it part-time? Are they down with that? Most programs like this expect it to be your full-time gig (although you can probably moonlight on top of it).
 
1. Not really.

2. How do you feel about it? It has a low (but non-zero) likelihood of helping you and virtually no chance of harming you, aside from the fact that you'll be working 34 days a month if you try to combine it with a hospitalist job. Have you actually spoken to the director of the program and current "fellows" about doing it part-time? Are they down with that? Most programs like this expect it to be your full-time gig (although you can probably moonlight on top of it).

Thanks for your reply gutonc.
I wish I had more training in basic science and research. I could not pursue this during or after med school due to financial contraints. I regret not being able to do so. There are a few programs that offer clinical translational science as a part of fellowship training. But these seem to be elite programs which I dont believe will accept me with my current CV no matter how motivated I am.
Working on a PhD fulltime is not financially viable for me. Instead, there are some masters programs such as the one at Tufts and georgetown that allow one to do it on a part time basis over a two year period. I feel like this is a reasonable alternative.