Advise please (Canadian Dental Hygienist interested in Dental School)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azithroK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a dental hygienist in her mid-thirties from Canada who is interested in going back to school to do dentistry. My last undergraduate courses were in 2011 and I finished a BSc in dental hygiene in 2016.
What are my options in terms of applying to dental schools in the US? any that would waive the requirement of going back to do undergraduate courses given the fact that I did them +10 yrs ago. And how about the DAT? any private/accredited schools that would be easier for me get in. Would my dental hygiene degree give me any advantage when applying to schools? It doesn't matter whether to practice in the US or Canada afterwards as I'm flexible but hope to stay in North America essentially.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

How much are you currently being paid? There is a massive shortage of hygienists in Canada at the moment and I'm looking at some of them thinking you guys are better off than the dental students who went and took on all that debt...

Its 55 to 75/80 dollars in ontario and alberta

- What are my options in terms of applying to dental schools in the US?
You will have to check with the schools directly.

- any that would waive the requirement of going back to do undergraduate courses given the fact that I did them +10 yrs ago.
Doubt it, but once again you will have to talk to the schools on a case-to-case scenario to know for sure.

- And how about the DAT?
You will have to take it for sure

- any private/accredited schools that would be easier for me get in.
Not really, is fair competition across the board

Would my dental hygiene degree give me any advantage when applying to schools?
- It is a plus for sure, but it just shows you have competency in the field and knows how to talk to a patient and provide care, but that won't shoot you to #1 ranking