Advise with Schools List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalPhysicist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm applying to MD/PhD programs and requesting advise on my schools list. I would like to optimize the list to maximize my chances while minimizing costs as I was not granted fee assistance though I am independent (parents made too much). Thanks in advance!

State of Residence: California
Social Background: Mexican-American male; economic disadvantage throughout childhood and undergrad
Graduate Record: Dual master's in chemistry and math
Graduate GPA: 3.71 (4.0 in chemistry, math was pretty tough)
Undergraduate Record: Triple bachelor's in biochemistry, physics, and chemistry with minors in biology and applied math
Undergraduate GPA: c3.67, s3.70 with significant upward trend
MCAT: 512 (130, 125... poop, 130, 127)
Research: Estimated 10,000+ hours with 7 years of experience across 3 labs (1 lab in undergrad, 1 lab for graduate thesis, and 1 more lab just for the sake of science). No publications, though 2 first-author manuscripts are in preparation; not much of a help for this application cycle I would assume. Over 20 presentations at international, national, and regional scientific and engineering conferences. Award for best oral student research presentation at an international conference. Several small competitive research scholarships. I was also first-author on a course supplement (don't think that counts for much here).
Teaching: Taught 6 semesters of chemistry at my university. Awarded outstanding TA award.
Clinical: Emergency department medical scribe ~2,500 hours (currently working full-time and loving every minute of it). Capsule endoscopy technician ~2,000 hours.
Physician Shadowing: Family/primary care physician ~100 hours.
Volunteering/Community Involvement: Volunteer for foundation that supports young adults with life-threatening illnesses ~1,000 hours; intermittent since high school until this day. Worked for local community and recreation services for over 10 years.
Extracurriculars: Minority-Focused Alliance for Pre-Health Students. Intercollegiate club baseball (not NCAA).
Research Interests: Biomedical Engineering or Biophysics
Current School List:
  • UCLA
  • UCI
  • USC
  • UC Davis
  • Einstein
  • Emory
  • UCSF
  • UCSD
  • Iowa - Carver
  • University of Washington
  • Case Western
  • Dartmouth
  • University of Wisconsin
  • University of Minnesota
  • Virginia Commonwealth
  • University of Florida
  • UNC-Chapel Hill
List was determined primarily based on research strengths of the institution and *reasonable* chances of admission due to my subpar stats. I haven't really considered any BMSs (best medical schools - anyone get that reference?) due to my numbers, though most of those institutions have desirable research opportunities.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.