Advocate/LOR beneficial this late in cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ladysmanfelpz

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Earlier on my SubI in November I only had two interviews for psych. A fourth year resident I got along great with said he would be my advocate and write letters to whoever I like based on my performance and work ethic on the SubI. I also just completed a psych elective where I got along great with the physician. My initial thought was to add another LOR to my application and have the 4th year personally write program coordinators to the few programs I interviewed to better my chances. Well I got up to 8 interviews luckily, which is no guarantee and feel much better. The 4th year resident has a letter written and I just need to give him the emails to shoot them off too. Is it okay to send to program directors or is that agains the rules, or look bad? Should I just send them to the program coordinators of the programs?

And for the LOR. I only have 1 psych LOR that I think is pretty generic. My other letters were good and interviewers commented on them. Is it worth updating with another LOR so that I come up on program's radars right before match, or is it unnecessary and asking too much of the doc that I just rotated with?

Really want psych so just trying to do whatever I can to better my chances. Thanks for the input.