AEGD/GPR programs-- What does it take to get into the one of your choice and why one over another?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whitetiger90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a second year dental student and have been hearing a lot of upperclassman and peers talking about residencies. I wanted to ask: what are the pros and cons of some residencies in the NY tristate area as well as Florida residencies?

I have heard that AEGDs are preferable to GPRs due to less trauma cases which isnt as useful in private practice, and that VAs do a lot of implants and you get good experience in those programs. Is this accurate?

Also I have low grades from first year and just about l0wish-mid average grades this year so far. However, my school does not rank us. How competitive are some of these programs? How can I ensure that I get into the residency program of my choice and how will some of these lower grades impact me when I apply?

Thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP^^ I am really curious about this too! The only difference I have is that my school does rank us.