AEGD/GPR Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dougedouguf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been making a laundry list of some programs that I am applying to and would love some feedback from anyone who has applied to, interviewed at, or even attended. I'm looking for a program that has a strong clinical base where i will be exposed to advanced general dentistry as well as advanced medicine. Here are some of the programs. Reply if you know anything.

Medical College of Georgia GPR
Carolinas Medical Center GPR
VA San Diego GPR
Cedars Sinai GPR
UConn AEGD
Univ Colorado GPR
UMKC AEGD
VA San Antonio AEGD
SUNY Stony Brook GPR
Maryland AEGD
Cambridge/Harvard GPR
St. Elizabeth's DC GPR
VA DC GPR

Please let me know what it takes to get into these programs or if any of these programs are a waste of time. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Nearly all the programs you mention are good... but major differences between AEGDs and GPRs... and each program is different in the experiences available and on-call hours...

Seems you looked all over the country...

Decide what you want to learn, how much you are willing to put into the program, where you would like to stay for a year (and future).. and speak to current residents...

Since several programs you list are near us... check us on the web...

Hi
Not sure why you are looking at AEGDs and GPRs. They are not the same thing and have different requirements as set forth by CODA. My suggestion would be to decide what you want to do after investigating what the differences are between an AEGD and GPR. That will shorten your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not actually trying to shorten my list. I'm merely trying to get a grasp of what each program is about. I was hoping someone browsing through the forums would see their program on this list and tell me how awesome it is. Im guessing that once students get into their programs they dont care about the little guys still in the ratrace. :mad:

I love Douggie!! He's awesome!:clap: :clap: :clap:

The UConn AEGD seems to be a good program if you are looking for a wide range of clinical experience. It is more like private practice though - so it is perfect if that is what you are looking for. not a lot of OR cases from what I understand. the on call time is minimal and residents equally share emergency service which is approx 2x a month.

have u heard back from any of them?
if yes then by what? and when is ur interview? could u post ur stat plz

Carloinas Medical Center GPR - they called. In november.
has anyone heard from Memphis VA or Bay Pines VA (in St. Petersburg)?

I have been doing some research into AEGD's and GPR's as well.

I have swapped emails with a resident at Maryland who is loving it. He detailed a few of his more interesting cases which include some serious prosth work, including placing and restoring implants. The program sounds very promising to me. He said all of the residents will place implants and at least half will place 15-20.

San Antonio VA is supposed to be a very good program. I have not yet spoken to residents there.

In general, it seems like there are 2 types of GPR/AEGD's 1) the ones where you serve the underserved and pull teeth/do amalgams all day and 2) the ones where you learn things you didn't get to do much of in dental school as well.

Also, because of the government financing of VA dentistry, many of these gpr's/aegd's seem to offer a more diverse experience. Also, programs within dental schools seem to give a less broad experience on average due to competition with residents of other specialties. This paragraph is full of generalizations though as each program is unique.

Interviewed at JAX this past monday. WOW. They do some of the most complicated cases of seen. Same stuff dentists I know back home die to do. I actually got a call back from Harvard. Im Just going so can say i interviewed there. Anyone heard back from UConn? Anyone heard about Stony Brook? Man, I wish i didnt have to go to these places to really figure out the real deal.

Anyone heard about how the VA GPR programs are in cali, specifically ( especially those who are residents or know people in the program)

VA palo alto
VA san diego
VA san fran

thanks ... the websites seem to glorify, in specific i want to know how they are when it comes to implants ( placing specifically), molar endo, perio surgery, and fixed work. Thanks

Anyone heard about how the VA GPR programs are in cali, specifically ( especially those who are residents or know people in the program)

VA palo alto
VA san diego
VA san fran

thanks ... the websites seem to glorify, in specific i want to know how they are when it comes to implants ( placing specifically), molar endo, perio surgery, and fixed work. Thanks

I've heard that San Diego and Palo Alto do not place implants but that Palo Alto is pretty strong in most everything else.