AEGD/ GPR with a lot of IV Sedation and Implant experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azimmer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone knew of any programs that have a lot of cases with IV sedation and implant experience? Preferably outside of Texas

Members don't see this ad.

Can you define "a lot"? Sounds like you are looking for an OMS residency.

Whoa there. Isn't there an easier way to copy training 4-6 years in just like 12 months with another general dentist?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Georgia. Classmate interviewed there last year and they claimed to complete a fairly high number of sedation and implant cases.

Augusta, GA
San Antonio
Jacksonville AEGD
Baltimore VA (MD grads get preference I believe)
Palmetto Richland (Columbia, SC)
Several other VA programs

Don't expect to be IV sedation certified from any of them, but you should end up with enough experience to realize what you do/don't like.

Whoa there. Isn't there an easier way to copy training 4-6 years in just like 12 months with another general dentist?
Hm I always thought OMFS learned more than implants and sedations. Maybe not then. But I guess that explains why that's about all the ones do around me. And wizzies of course.

Hm I always thought OMFS learned more than implants and sedations. Maybe not then. But I guess that explains why that's about all the ones do around me. And wizzies of course.

We have no policies in dentistry that prevents someone who is "IV sedation certified" to use whatever drugs they like. If you haven't intubated multiple persons (not a dummy), then you have no reason to be using drugs that could require you to do so.

But what do I know? I'm just a big dumb surgeon. But it's the weekend warrior that is dangerous that is going to cost sedation privileges for everyone in dentistry, not the person who went to 3-6 years of training.

Reactions: 2 users
We have no policies in dentistry that prevents someone who is "IV sedation certified" to use whatever drugs they like. If you haven't intubated multiple persons (not a dummy), then you have no reason to be using drugs that could require you to do so.

But what do I know? I'm just a big dumb surgeon. But it's the weekend warrior that is dangerous that is going to cost sedation privileges for everyone in dentistry, not the person who went to 3-6 years of training.

When I was a senior in dental school, we had about 2-3 incidences where the Department of "Plastic Surgery of Dentistry" tried to sedate their patients to place a few implants. Patients ended up coding and guess who had to bail them out and save those poor patients? The big dumb attending surgeon next door.

It baffles me to think a lot of these folks think that a few weekend courses or even a 1 year GPR/AEGD or a Perio residency will adequately trained them to sedate people.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree with you, but I actually think only anesthesiologists should be sedating patients. You're saying that your training rivals theirs? ;)

I agree with you, but I actually think only anesthesiologists should be sedating patients. You're saying that your training rivals theirs? ;)

Actually, they spend 4 years in residency, we spend 4 years in residency. They spend off service rotations but the majority of their time is on their service, just like us. Of course my anesthesia training doesn't rival theirs, but I'm not sedating ASA 4 patients undergoing a liver transplant. I do think I run a superior open airway sedation because I've done it more than them.

Great question though. Statistically, you are more likely to die in the OR with an anesthesiologist than the outpatient setting with an OMS. It's a weird statistic but true. But that's only due to patient selection, it has nothing to do with training, which again, is superior for them for their sick patients. It's not fair to compare due to me sedating a completely healthy 18 year old. That's cake for them.

Can any moderators please control the consistent thread take overs by a certain select few. Many types of dentists will talk about implants, grafting, and sedation. It's time to grow up and be professional.

Actually, they spend 4 years in residency, we spend 4 years in residency. They spend off service rotations but the majority of their time is on their service, just like us. Of course my anesthesia training doesn't rival theirs, but I'm not sedating ASA 4 patients undergoing a liver transplant. I do think I run a superior open airway sedation because I've done it more than them.

Great question though. Statistically, you are more likely to die in the OR with an anesthesiologist than the outpatient setting with an OMS. It's a weird statistic but true. But that's only due to patient selection, it has nothing to do with training, which again, is superior for them for their sick patients. It's not fair to compare due to me sedating a completely healthy 18 year old. That's cake for them.
I agree that case selection is paramount in every facet of dentistry. Especially for general dentists. Sorry @periopocket for the derail and that the oral surgeon disrespected periodontists doing sedations.

Should you command respect when you are allowed perform a task that you're inadequately trained at the expense of patient care? Yeah, that's professionalism.

Sorry to bring back an old post but it's sad to me when general dentists want to learn to do procedures to which they are inadequately trained for. Don't sedate someone if you are a general dentist. It's just not safe.