AEGD/GPR with ortho experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dolfin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was considering applying to GPRs or AEGDs as a backup plan in case I did not get into ortho this cycle.

What programs would you guys suggest that could boost my ortho application, i.e., might offer some ortho-related experience?

I find it difficult to obtain such info from the internet, and I go to dental school in Canada where most of my friends do not know a whole lot about US programs. Any insight is appreciated!

Cheers and stay safe everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe Mt Sinai and St Barnabas will be able to give you minimal ortho exposure. I doubt you will be able to get much comprehensive ortho experience in any GPR though

Reactions: 1 users
I believe Mt Sinai and St Barnabas will be able to give you minimal ortho exposure. I doubt you will be able to get much comprehensive ortho experience in any GPR though
Thank you! I totally agree with you, was looking for something with a minimal ortho experience so I can get good connections for the subsequent cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do your letters of recommendation say you're applying for orthodontics? How will GPR/AEGD look at that? I want to apply for GPRs as backup too but i feel like they'll look at my letters and not bother reviewing my application because of my letters of recommendation

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I totally agree with you, was looking for something with a minimal ortho experience so I can get good connections for the subsequent cycle.
I spoke with a resident from Sinai and they said ortho wasn't really that present in the program (I think they do not have a ortho program in the hospital)

Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia. If you look at their ortho faculty, some of them did a GPR there and then went on to do their ortho residency there.

Do your letters of recommendation say you're applying for orthodontics? How will GPR/AEGD look at that? I want to apply for GPRs as backup too but i feel like they'll look at my letters and not bother reviewing my application because of my letters of recommendation
Well, I have not finalized my LoRs yet. However, I think you can manage to get some GP LoRs and choose not to submit the ortho ones to the GPR programs. This should be fine and well-understood by the GPR program directors. That's my personal opinion though.

I spoke with a resident from Sinai and they said ortho wasn't really that present in the program (I think they do not have a ortho program in the hospital)
Thanks for letting me know! Do you have other suggestions?

Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia. If you look at their ortho faculty, some of them did a GPR there and then went on to do their ortho residency there.
Thank you!