• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

AEGD/GPR with ortho experience

dolfin

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2018
Hey guys,

I was considering applying to GPRs or AEGDs as a backup plan in case I did not get into ortho this cycle.

What programs would you guys suggest that could boost my ortho application, i.e., might offer some ortho-related experience?

I find it difficult to obtain such info from the internet, and I go to dental school in Canada where most of my friends do not know a whole lot about US programs. Any insight is appreciated!

Cheers and stay safe everyone!

mmc12

2+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2016
  1. Dentist
I believe Mt Sinai and St Barnabas will be able to give you minimal ortho exposure. I doubt you will be able to get much comprehensive ortho experience in any GPR though

Reactions: 1 users

dolfin

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2018
I believe Mt Sinai and St Barnabas will be able to give you minimal ortho exposure. I doubt you will be able to get much comprehensive ortho experience in any GPR though
Thank you! I totally agree with you, was looking for something with a minimal ortho experience so I can get good connections for the subsequent cycle.

About the Ads

ssm38

Orthodontics Resident
5+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Do your letters of recommendation say you're applying for orthodontics? How will GPR/AEGD look at that? I want to apply for GPRs as backup too but i feel like they'll look at my letters and not bother reviewing my application because of my letters of recommendation

Reactions: 1 user

Alpha Centauri

7+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2013
Fhloston Paradise
Thank you! I totally agree with you, was looking for something with a minimal ortho experience so I can get good connections for the subsequent cycle.
I spoke with a resident from Sinai and they said ortho wasn't really that present in the program (I think they do not have a ortho program in the hospital)

Reactions: 1 user

dolfin

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2018
Do your letters of recommendation say you're applying for orthodontics? How will GPR/AEGD look at that? I want to apply for GPRs as backup too but i feel like they'll look at my letters and not bother reviewing my application because of my letters of recommendation
Well, I have not finalized my LoRs yet. However, I think you can manage to get some GP LoRs and choose not to submit the ortho ones to the GPR programs. This should be fine and well-understood by the GPR program directors. That's my personal opinion though.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.