Aegd/gpr...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biogirl361

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to get into an aegd or gpr program at the school of your choice? do most people that want to do one have to do it at a school other than where they did their 4 years of dental?

Members don't see this ad.

Biogirl361 said:
How hard is it to get into an aegd or gpr program at the school of your choice? do most people that want to do one have to do it at a school other than where they did their 4 years of dental?

That's going to depend on the program that you apply to. Some residencies are very easy to get into. Other are difficult and have fierce competition due to their location, reputation, hospital/facility affilications, patient base, funding, etc.

For example, a GPR in NY at an acclaimed hospital is going to be a lot more difficult to match with than a GPR based in, say, Iowa.

If you go to the National Match website it tells you that of the 487 applicants who matched in GPR's, 375 received their first choice and of the 121 who matched in AEGD programs, 104 got their first choice program. There is a more detailed list at: http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/index.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the site, it was very informative. how good of a gpa do you have to have in dental school to match with an aegd/gpr, would you say?

Wow! That site clarifies a lot of misinformation floating around. Is this an official site for the match program or is this some student's site?

To my understanding, even the bottom student in his/her class can get into AEGD and GPR programs.

Not to thread jack, but in addition to Biogirl's question on the GPA, how does trying to match into AEGD/GPR affect one's status trying to match into OMS or PED at the same time?

Also, what about the Ortho attempt? Wouldn't these multiple program attempts make your match attempt into other programs seem desperate and without any real interest?

I've been told by professors and residents alike that it is a good idea to apply to both your desired specialty and a GPR. That way if you don't match into a specialty you can complete the GPR and have a better shot at matching the next year. Both the GPRs and the specialty programs expect this.

BTW, does perio not participate in the match?

Tarheel said:
If you go to the National Match website it tells you that of the 487 applicants who matched in GPR's, 375 received their first choice and of the 121 who matched in AEGD programs, 104 got their first choice program. There is a more detailed list at: http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/index.htm

Tarheel, great site. I think that the numbers however (487 and 121) are the numbers of people who actually had interviews at GPR or AEGD programs, not the numbers of actual applicants. Of course, the numbers are probably pretty close, since I don't seen a lot of GPR/AEGDs not interviewing candidates.

DrPheta: It is the official match website.
ItsGavinC: Thanks, I think your right that it isn't the number of applicants because on another part of the site it lists the following:
For GPR
Applicants Participating in the Match 632, Positions Offered 730, Matches/Filled Positions 487, Unfilled Positions 243.

For AEGD
Applicants Participating in the Match 260, Positions Offered 204, Matches/Filled Positions 121, Unfilled Positions 83

I think that means that (632 GPR and 260 AEGD) are the number of individuals who interviewed and subsequently submitted Rank order lists. The (487 and 121) are the number of positions that were filled. I don't know how to find out how many people applied and didn't receive an invitation to interview, sorry about that. There were unfilled seats (243 and 83) in each program, but there were also applicants who ranked GPRs and AEGDs and didn't match into one. It is possible that these people also ranked and were accepted into a pedo or omfs I guess. I know my school had an open slot in its GPR and sent around an email to any interested seniors a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry, I haven't found anywhere that list what GPAs it takes to get into different programs.

Where are you guys all viewing the stats? I don't see them up there anymore. This past cycle they made you type in your id number and password before accessing any of the stats or post-match info.

Looks like the price to register with Match has gone up from $60 to $70.

drPheta, it's not a bad idea to apply to a GPR/AEGD if you are applying to specialty at the same time. I did this. Since I found out I didn't match into ortho on Dec. 8, I then attended all my GPR interviews and submitted another match list to participate in phase II and matched into a GPR on Jan. 26. When the GPRs asked "Where do you see yourself in five years" and other similar questions, I told them upfront that I had applied to ortho, didn't get in this year, and was planning to reapply. This way, I wouldn't get stuck attending a program where they don't like people using their program to go on and specialize. Two programs didn't care that I had applied and encouraged me to reapply, a third one gave me a hard time about it and I subsequently ranked them third on my list of three.

Yes, even the bottom student in a class can get a GPR/AEGD. I don't see the link on the Match site anymore of the programs that did not fill, but those 243 GPR/83 AEGD unfilled spots are looking for any warm body to come to their program and do some dentistry. And programs understand too that being at the bottom of your class does not mean you are a bad dentist.

biogirl, the difficulty of getting into a GPR/AEGD of your choice depends exactly on what your choice is. There are some programs that are highly sought after and get tons of applicants and never have spots open post-match, and some that have all their spots open post-match. For example, there is a GPR in Long Island at the North Shore Hospital that a lot of my classmates wanted to attend (at least 5 of them put it as their #1 choice, possibly more, and more than 5 definitely applied). For me, however, I didn't even consider North Shore even though I had the stats to get an interview. The location just didn't appeal to me, so I really wasn't willing to consider what else the program had to offer. At the same time, my #1 choice had some of their spot open post-match, but does that mean it's less competitive or not as good? I don't know, but their program had several components that I liked that none of the other places I considered offered. My #3 choice was #1 for two of my classmates. I didn't really want to go there unless I had to, yet they wanted to be there so badly.

Check out the hospitals in the area you think you want to be in, and then apply to the ones you'd like to attend. Like dental school, the better your stats, the more likely you'll get an interview, but there are tons of GPRs so anyone who wants to do one can, regardless of your class rank. You also need to rank enough programs you can see yourself attending. Of the 5 who put North Shore first, 2 got in. The other three - one got into choice #2, another into choice #3, and the third student didn't rank any other programs (not a good idea), so had to call around post-match to get a spot.

Don't freak out about it now. Wait till you start dental school, and ask your upperclassmen for advice, but be sure to do some of your own research and make your own decisions when you apply.

Griffin, great advice. Thanks. What Griffin just said about that one student who did not match completely agrees with what the match website says about ranking all your choices as you would like to truly attend. I.E. Your #1 rank = where you want to be most and your #3 rank where you want to be the least. That last student would have matched into either his 2nd or 3rd ranked program, and not have to go calling in the hospitals if he'd just rank and try not to "beat" the system.

Griff, look at the bottom of the results page...

"If you wish to access Match result information for positions beginning in 2004 (i.e. for the Match that was completed in January 2004) click here."

That's where the old results are located.

In general, are the hours worked in a GPR similar to a medical residency? Do people do 24 hour shifts and 90 hour workweeks?

Lila08 said:
In general, are the hours worked in a GPR similar to a medical residency? Do people do 24 hour shifts and 90 hour workweeks?

It's going to depend what program you are looking at. At the very extreme end, some do claim to put their dental residents through the same torture that the medical ones do.

By and large, the hours aren't THAT bad, but you are expected to pull call when working specific rotations, etc.