AEGD w/ Air Force Base Selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmdietrich

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question- I am a 4th year at U of Iowa with a HPSP in the Air Force. I am applying for an AEGD. I have made my base selections and my top choices are 1) Langley 2) Eglin 3) Academy 4) Nellis.

I just had my interview and I was told that these are the most popular bases. They decide who goes where based on GPA, Class rank, and board score. Well my GPA is 3.61, class rank is 21 out of 74, and 90 on boards. The interviewer said I was competitive but not super competitive.

My question is how likely do you think I am to get at least one of my top choices. Do they take into account your family? I am married with one small child and another on the way.

Thank you for your time~

Members don't see this ad.

mmdietrich said:
Quick question- I am a 4th year at U of Iowa with a HPSP in the Air Force. I am applying for an AEGD. I have made my base selections and my top choices are 1) Langley 2) Eglin 3) Academy 4) Nellis.

I just had my interview and I was told that these are the most popular bases. They decide who goes where based on GPA, Class rank, and board score. Well my GPA is 3.61, class rank is 21 out of 74, and 90 on boards. The interviewer said I was competitive but not super competitive.

My question is how likely do you think I am to get at least one of my top choices. Do they take into account your family? I am married with one small child and another on the way.

Thank you for your time~

I don't know if this is correct, but given your information and your desire to be stationed at one of your top choices, I would contact the congressmen/senators/freeholders in your district/state/county. I would call and, if possible, speak to their secretaries. They may be able to offer you some advice. I would then follow up, regardless of what transpires, with a letter stating you are a constituent of their area and ask if they could offer any help in this matter. It couldn't hurt.

I got my first choice years ago when I signed up for the Navy. I didn't give it much thought when I applied. I just got lucky. I am suggesting this approach because I recently spoke to an orthopedic surgeon who went to his congressman for help. He was in the army.

Unfortunately, he was called during his reserve period to Desert Storm for a year. Shortly after returning, he sent in his resignation papers. Apparently they got "lost," and he subsequently received orders for another tour of duty. He solicited the help of his congressman who was able to help. Politicians can have clout. He resubmitted his request for discharge, resigning his commission, and it was finally, and thankfully, accepted.

Good luck in the Air Force and congratulations on your new expanding family. Best Wishes, Lesley. (You're stats are great! :thumbup: )

mmdietrich said:

Thank you for your time~

I can't anwser your question, but if I may ask you one...

I am on the Air Force HPSP scholarship myself, and I was wondering the timeline of applying for an AEGD site. Did you apply after your D3 year? And did you have to submit your request for bases if you don't happen to get and AEGD? If you aren't planning on an AEGD when would you submit the bases on your wishlist? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Omahahahaha said:
I can't anwser your question, but if I may ask you one...

I am on the Air Force HPSP scholarship myself, and I was wondering the timeline of applying for an AEGD site. Did you apply after your D3 year? And did you have to submit your request for bases if you don't happen to get and AEGD? If you aren't planning on an AEGD when would you submit the bases on your wishlist? Thanks!

Yes I applied for the AEGD this summer following my third year. Along with my application for AEGD were the base selections. You don't have a choice you have to apply for the AEGD- if you get it you can turn it down. But everyone has to apply for it- that is what I was told anyway![/I] [/I]

Do you apply for PASS for civilian programs as well? Do you know anything about defering your military commitement for civilian programs? Thanks!

I'm not sure about application timeline, but there were a couple air force guys who just graduated from my school - the one was in the top 10% of his class and knew pretty early (I think in Feb. or March) that he was going to the AEGD in Vegas (nellis?). The other guy was only in the top 50% but ended up going to the exact same spot anyway, however, he didn't find his assignment until June.
Anyway, best of luck to you all, I'm filling out the air force application right now.

Mmdietrich-

I'm a D2 at Nebraska taking part in the 4 yr AF program. I spoke with someone from my state who's finishing up their 4 years in the AF and I'll summarize what he shared with me.

The bases along the coasts (esp. FL & CA) are first to be filled, but often times aren't as ideal spots to work as one might think. He said the primary factor for his enjoyment in the service was working with a compatible director of the clinic. In otherwords, if the Colonel's a jerk, living in FL or Virginia can be hell. He suggested that when the time comes, call around to the bases you've got a shot at and find out via a low-ranking officer how the atmosphere is at the clinic. Ask about the director and get an idea of what the subordinates, pet-peaves are. While Fargo or Biloxi might not seem too enticing initially, great training and a good chemistry among your peers seems to be the ticket to enjoying your stay.

I'm curious to hear about your experience as I'm anticipating mine. Best of luck and I hope the info is helpful.

okplayer said:
Mmdietrich-

I'm a D2 at Nebraska taking part in the 4 yr AF program. I spoke with someone from my state who's finishing up their 4 years in the AF and I'll summarize what he shared with me.

The bases along the coasts (esp. FL & CA) are first to be filled, but often times aren't as ideal spots to work as one might think. He said the primary factor for his enjoyment in the service was working with a compatible director of the clinic. In otherwords, if the Colonel's a jerk, living in FL or Virginia can be hell. He suggested that when the time comes, call around to the bases you've got a shot at and find out via a low-ranking officer how the atmosphere is at the clinic. Ask about the director and get an idea of what the subordinates, pet-peaves are. While Fargo or Biloxi might not seem too enticing initially, great training and a good chemistry among your peers seems to be the ticket to enjoying your stay.

I'm curious to hear about your experience as I'm anticipating mine. Best of luck and I hope the info is helpful.

Thanks for the advice and information. Sounds like a good plan-although I think my wife would be miserable in Fargo or Biloxi!

USUaggie said:
I'm not sure about application timeline, but there were a couple air force guys who just graduated from my school - the one was in the top 10% of his class and knew pretty early (I think in Feb. or March) that he was going to the AEGD in Vegas (nellis?). The other guy was only in the top 50% but ended up going to the exact same spot anyway, however, he didn't find his assignment until June.
Anyway, best of luck to you all, I'm filling out the air force application right now.

That wouldn't be cool if you didn't know where you were going until June.

Quick question, (granted everyone on the HPSP scholarship applies) between people turning down the AEGD and 10+ base locations, is there usually enough spots for anyone on scholarship who wants to do one? Obvoiusly the people with the best stats get their pick of what bases to go to, I'm just wondering if people actually apply and get rejected.

I think my recruiter told me that there was actually more spots than applications a year or two ago. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

That would be nice. I really want to do the program. My buddy I mentioned told me to try to stay in the top half of my class to be safe.