Aegd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mg777

Tooth Mechanic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just wanted to get some baseline info on AEGD programs. What did/do you think of the program, and if you dont mind where are you enrolled? Is this a better alternative than taking a a bunch of CE courses after I graduate from dental school if I plan on doing general dentistry and desire to do a range of procedures not taught in dental school here(molar endo, implants, etc)? How competitive are these programs to get into?

Members don't see this ad.

AEGD programs are generally quite good. I really enjoyed my time there. However, some people couldn't stand it. If you are able to find a highly successful private practitioner who is willing to take you on and teach you, I would say that would be a better deal than a regular AEGD. If you have no offers and no leads, then doing an AEGD program would be good. Make sure you visit the programs and speak to the current residents before you commit!

AEGD programs are generally quite good. I really enjoyed my time there. However, some people couldn't stand it. If you are able to find a highly successful private practitioner who is willing to take you on and teach you, I would say that would be a better deal than a regular AEGD. If you have no offers and no leads, then doing an AEGD program would be good. Make sure you visit the programs and speak to the current residents before you commit!

So if you say a great private practitioner is ideal, if you don't have that would you recommend an AEGD with the same zeal as a GPR? Or are you saying you should avoid both if you can get the guidance/practice in a purely professional environment?

Many AEGDs are excellent... but all programs vary... check them out with your faculty, alumni, and especially current residents ... and visit the program.

As with GPRs, each AEGD has a slightly different focus.

Some one mention GPRs earier on this thread... They are not for every one...

The difference... and they vary program to program:

Because of funding(feds) GPRs often pay more...
the the hours are longer with oncall...
GPRs will have you do things you may never wish to do again... OR cases, Anesthesia, Medical rotations. In AEGD more time doing dentistry.
With these rotations you will see dental emergency including avulse teeth, dental aveolar fractures, bleeding, be exposed to sedation... that many AEGD cant offer....

I can go on and on.... both are good... take your choice...

Each gives you a year to mature, can confidence, decide want and where you want to practice... and most important it takes the pressure off the boards... you have the extra year (and in NY they replace the boards)...
Its a year you get paid to learn.