Aesthetic Surgery Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cromagnon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I get so psyched about plastics when I see what can be done for someones appearance. Some of the before and after shots are just amazing. Then sometimes I will see some before/after's that are just awful...totally fake looking and overdone. What troubles me is that sometimes you will see this wide range of results coming from the same surgeon. I can understand one surgeon being consistently crappy, but to see a board certified surgeon have good and bad results makes me wonder if either some patients are not good candidates no matter what you do or that plastic surgery is not as precise as I would expect it to be.

Either way I can't imagine having a patient walk in your office for a follow up and you have to tell them "looks really good!" when you know it sucks.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

cromagnon said:
Sometimes I get so psyched about plastics when I see what can be done for someones appearance. Some of the before and after shots are just amazing. Then sometimes I will see some before/after's that are just awful...totally fake looking and overdone. What troubles me is that sometimes you will see this wide range of results coming from the same surgeon. I can understand one surgeon being consistently crappy, but to see a board certified surgeon have good and bad results makes me wonder if either some patients are not good candidates no matter what you do or that plastic surgery is not as precise as I would expect it to be.

Either way I can't imagine having a patient walk in your office for a follow up and you have to tell them "looks really good!" when you know it sucks.

Any thoughts?

Cosmetic outcome is going to vary depending on what procedure is done, the extent of the deformity, the patient's innate response to injury/healing, as well as the technical prowess and experience of the surgeon.

I have had some experience now on plastics, and what I have observed is that it is key to counsel the patient on just what is possible vs. what is likely as far as outcome. If the patient has realistic expectations, and the surgeon presents a clear, and honest pre-op counseling of possible outcomes, then the patient will be more likely to accept and be satisfied with whatever outcome he/she might have.

Unfortunately the plastic surgeons that I know and have worked with are not magicians. They cannot make perfect every deformity they encounter. Often a "good" outcome is relative to the original defect. They are very skilled however, and they are conscientious and professional in their efforts to counsel patients before going to the OR. Consequently their patients are happy/satisfied with their results.