affirmative action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

josejalapeno

I say they should let us all of us mexicans into med school. All the white, asian and Hindus are hogging all the spaces.

Members don't see this ad.

You're right. Viva Mexico!

------------------
Imtiaz
----------------------------------------------------------------
I write messages on money.
It's my own form of social protest.
A letter printed on paper that no one will destroy.
Passed indiscriminately across race, class, and gender lines, and written on the blood that keeps the beast alive.
A quiet little hijacking on the way to the checkout counter, and a federal crime.
I hope that someone will find my message one day when they really need it.
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

I'm going to guess joesjalapeno's post is a deliberate attempt to anger people and start a debate on discrimation, prejudice, and similar topics.
In itself, this is immature and rude.
I'm wondering how joesjalepeno _knows_ that people are Hindu - after all, it is a faith/practice - and anyone who practices the Dharma and follows that way of life can call her or himself a Hindu. If anyone else would like to clarify more on Hinduism, feel free, I don't confess to know more that a few basic things.

I guess that josejalapeno has talked to a great deal of doctors to know everyone's faith/religious affiliation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say we file a lawsuit against the med schools for discrimination.

Yeah ese, I agree with you. Let's hire an attorney.

------------------
Imtiaz
Passed indiscriminately across race, class, and gender lines, and written on the blood that keeps the beast alive.
A quiet little hijacking on the way to the checkout counter, and a federal crime.
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Good going homes, I'm glad you corrected yourself, otherwise you would've sounded real racist!
smile.gif

Originally posted by josejalapeno:
Oh man I meant to say folks from India.

------------------
Imtiaz
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Originally posted by josejalapeno:
Oh man I meant to say folks from India.

Not all Indians are Hindus!!! I happen to be an Indian Christian. Anyway, because of our over-representation, underrepresented minorities have some concessions in admissions, so take advantage of them.

I don't know if you are serious about attending medical school but being mexican you have many opportunities to enter into medical school. Medical schools all over the country are searching for under represented minorities to fill their classes you need only make yourself aware of them.

I'm Native American but haven't gotten an acceptance yet. I have good (not stellar) stats. I've had several interviews and haven't heard from ANY of the interviews yet (1st interview was at end of Jan). So, we'll see...

Sorry if I offended you. I certainly didn't mean to. In retrospect I suppose it is a challenge for everyone applying as the competition gets more fierce everyday. Did you mark on your application that you were Native American? Some people don't like to use that to their advantage, others use it to the fullest. Either way, I guess you're right... the qualifications should be there to get accepted.

No, I didn't mark the Native American box because I knew if I got in, I would wonder if that was the reason. However, it did come out in a couple interviews when asked about my involvement with the Native American community. I ended up telling them, then they asked me if I had a roll number (which I do). One school even asked to have a photocopy of the card! It's a double-edged sword, really. Of course there's times when I want to "help my odds" (I know, its wrong and I agree it's unfair), but at the same time, I want to get in on my merit. I think I the right thing by checking the "No Response" box.

Members don't see this ad :)
WestGirl,
It was very brave of you not to claim your heritage on the application. I have a friend who has a 3.2 and 24 MCAT and she has had 9 interviews so far and been accepted to 4 schools. No outstanding volunteer work, or extracurriculars. And she also is a bit introverted and shy. She won't admit that it is her ethnicity that is opening all the doors for her so I don't push the issue. I am all for a diverse Physician population, but not at the expense of skipping over people who bust their but to achieve as much as possible to be able to realize their hopes and dreams.....no matter what ethnicity they are!

WestGirl -- for what it's worth, I'm extremely impressed by your integrity, esp. after having seen a friend essentially lie about her ethnic background, and then observing all the doors (I believe) that opened to her for that reason. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that you get some good news soon.

Westgirl,

In all the posts I've seen on this board, yours smacks stongest of integrity. If I were on the adcom, you'd be a shoo-in. We need more docs like you. Heck, we need more people like you.

Hi everyone...this is kind of off the subject here...but I always wondered what to put as ethnicity on applications. Im from Afghanistan so would i be considered white, other Asian, or just Asian?? Some people tell me white while others tell me as asian. Replies would be appreciated....thanx all..
smile.gif

DOCTORSAIB

I would mark "other" and write your ethnicity. I have seen many people from middle east and others get lumped as white when I don't think that is correct. Thatmay work against them.

Hey pre-med from Afghanistan,

i'd just mark "other" for race. Your understandable confusion just shows how dumb this race thing can sometimes be. Med schools want to lump all of us into these stupid categories, and what does it all mean? Being from afghanistan, you're not what's generally considered Asian or white, and though anthropologists could spend a lifetime debating how to categorize you, med schools, employers, etc., this whole race thing has nothing to do with sincere anthropological curiosity but about med schools/employers wanting to cover their butts by looking good and saying, "look we love diversity" even though them might not even care.

Hey Westgirl,

that's cool of you to be concerned about fairness, first and foremost. so many people get so hung up on "just getting in" that they forget about just being fair. I do agree that some people should be given one hand up if they've come from disadvantaged backgrounds, but for others, they're unfairly using ethnicity as a crutch.

anway, it's nice that you're concerned about not hurting anyone (namely, other applicants) and I'm sure you'll make a great doctor. good luck!! (by the way, what does "Westgirl" mean? are you from the West, as in west coast?)

Thanks for all the kind comments. Without ever having talked about this subject with anyone but my husband, I've been getting kind of discouraged because I haven't heard yet from any of the schools I interviewed at. I agree with others that have posted that if I'd marked that box, it probably would've opened more doors for me...I admit I struggled with the temptation. Like most of you, I want nothing more than to fulfill my dream of becoming a physician--but I've got to get in first!
smile.gif
Like I said in the other post, I just knew if I did mark that box and got in, I would feel like a fraud, whether it was the case or not. Anyway, hearing your comments have made me feel really good and help remind me that I did the right thing, even if I do have re-apply next year. But, I am still holding my breath for an acceptance! Thanks again and congratulations to those of you who will be medical students this fall and good luck to everyone who is still waiting...
smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by furrycat:

Hey Westgirl,

that's cool of you to be concerned about fairness, first and foremost. so many people get so hung up on "just getting in" that they forget about just being fair. I do agree that some people should be given one hand up if they've come from disadvantaged backgrounds, but for others, they're unfairly using ethnicity as a crutch.

anway, it's nice that you're concerned about not hurting anyone (namely, other applicants) and I'm sure you'll make a great doctor. good luck!! (by the way, what does "Westgirl" mean? are you from the West, as in west coast?)

Thanks! Yeah, "West" as in the west coast. Very unoriginal, I know--ha ha!

Originally posted by WestGirl:
I agree with others that have posted that if I'd marked that box, it probably would've opened more doors for me...I admit I struggled with the temptation... I just knew if I did mark that box and got in, I would feel like a fraud, whether it was the case or not. Anyway, hearing your comments have made me feel really good and help remind me that I did the right thing, even if I do have re-apply next year.

I'm a longtime lurker, but WestGirl, you've compelled me to come out of my shell.
wink.gif

All I can say is...girl, your "Good Karma"-meter is measuring off the charts! If I were in your position, I don't know that I'd have the guts to make the decision you did. I don't know how things will pan out for you, whether you'll get in this year or whether you'll have to reapply, but if it's true that you reap what you sow, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Integrity like yours is always rewarded in the long run.
Best of luck with everything, WestGirl...even though I'm probably older than you, I hope that when I 'grow up,' I can be just like you.
smile.gif

Best Wishes,
mm&i

------------------
"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly." - Thomas Paine

Hi,

Westgirl I must congratulate you on your display of character . However I do not condemn the identification of one's disadvantaged heritage in the application process . Such I.D. , when used properly , can transalate into much benefit for communities that otherwise would go underserved . For example , if I am an ethnically disadvantaged applicant and my intentions as a physician are to return and practice in a community made up mostly by people of my heritage, which is also medically underserved , I will be contributing to the improvement of this people in the short and long run . In this manner identifying yourself as a member of an unprivileged ethnic group should be applauded by anyone with two functioning neurons .

However , I do not approve of messing around in school and hoping to get accepted on the basis of ethnicity alone . On the other hand , I do not approve of getting accepted because one "busted one's but" to get the highest grades , extra-curricular etc . Medical school , in my opinion , is not the prize for an obstacle race called premedicine . Medical school is the professional preparation for individuals to medically serve other individuals . To claim that , because one busted one's life gives one merit to become a physician is wrong . Perhaps as wrong as claiming an acceptance based solely on ethnicity .

Therefore , had your intentions been to improve the standard of living of the native-american community , Westgirl , I say you should have identified that on your application . You obviously , have admirable principles . However , these principles , or the personal desire to feel dignified because of these principles , should not preclude a person from helping to improve the lives of many individuals whom at the end will most likely continue underserved at the hands of members from other ethnic groups which most likely will not provide appropriate medical care to them....My .02 cents .
smile.gif

furrycat...thanx for replying...you're right, i should put "other" and then specify my race; however, sometimes there is no option for "other" at which point i feel as if i "have" to pick a race just to fulfill their stupid requirements. I just filled out the MCAT online application and i classified myself as "other Asian", but now im thinking i should have put "other" instead...oh well, i guess when i fill out the AMCAS, i'll put "other" and just hope that at an interview they ask me about the discrepancy.

Westgirl, i know you've heard this from everyone else, but it takes alot of guts to do what you did. Sometimes pre-meds can get so competitive that at the expense of staying on top or getting into med school we throw our ethics out the window. Tell you the truth, im not sure if i would have had the courage to do what you did...im sure you'll get in and will one day make a great physician...
smile.gif

DOCTORSAIB

Status
Not open for further replies.