1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Affording a dentist

Discussion in 'Dental' started by J.opt, Apr 10, 2004.

1. J.opt

7+ Year Member

Over spring brake I went to get my teeth checked. The dentist charged me $130 for the check up and a clean up, and told me that I had some cavities that needed to be fixed, which was going to cost me something on the range of $700-900. I decided to fly to Venezuela over the summer, visit my family for a month and get my teeth fixed. (All of which will cost me about $1000).
    How can regular folks afford a dentist? Through their insurance?

(I?m not flaming anyone here, I?m just curious)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bickle

Bickle future NYC taxi driver
    10+ Year Member

Insurance, yes. If you still think its too expensive, you might want to try a dental school and get work done there. They are a lot cheaper than going to a dentist.

4. DrJeff

DrJeff Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Think of it this way, your paying about $1000 for work that if you take care of it properly(I.E. brushing, flossing, and watching your diet(sugar intake)) will likely last you 15 to 20 years(if not longer) :wow: That works out to be less than 20 cents per day over that life span :clap: Give up 1 cup of coffee at the donut shop and it pays for itself over a lifetime. Remember, dentistry isn't only a health issue, but an investment in yourself :D

5. UNLV OMS GUNNABE

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What part of Venezuela? I lived in Valencia and other towns around there for a while.

6. J.opt

7+ Year Member

Thank you all for your replies. I?m from a small city in the state of Tachira, but my brothers live now in Valencia, so that?s where I?m going to visit. For how long did you live there?

7. J.opt

7+ Year Member

I have another question. Long time ago someone told that that overtime, mouthwashes like Listerine hamper the mouth?s natural ability to control odor. So, according to that statement, you will get bad breath if you use Listerine for several years and then stop. Is there any truth in this?

8. UNLV OMS GUNNABE

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I lived there for about 2 years, right after Chavez was elected. Mostly in Carabobo but I spent some time outside Maracay and Barquisimeto.

9. Frank Cavitation

Frank Cavitation Game Center Arashi
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    What exactly is the mechanism by which the mouth naturally controls odor? I am aware though, that excessive mouthwash gargling can burn off epithelium due to the effects of alcohol.

10. J.opt

7+ Year Member

I don?t know, maybe you?ll lose the ability to have a natural balance of bacteria in your mouth? No idea :confused: