Affording a Post-Bacc Program????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhockens

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone-
I would really appreciate some help with this question. I just graduated from Smith College in May 08 and I have not taken any of the courses necessary to apply for an MD/DO program. I know I want to attend a post-bacc prehealth career changer program, but how can anyone afford those programs when the tuition costs $20-30K. Almost all of the programs I've researched from the AAMC.org site says that they only allow students to take out the maximum federal loan amount each year. I have $30,000 in undergraduate debt. I would prefer not to have to take out that same amount for one-two years of post-bacc studies. Does anyone know of post-bacc programs that offer financial aid or scholarships or grants for these types of programs? I don't understand how one is expected to live comfortably (i.e. rent, food, car, utilities, etc) while attending one of these programs. Please help!:scared::eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I sympathize.
Med school tuition now runs 20-40k a year, so taken in that light, the 20-30k for a year is probably what you can expect for a year at any private school of any type. If you go to med school you are going to run up debt of 100-200k since there are very few scholarships available.
Just something to keep in mind.
Internal med doc.