Affording a Post-Bacc Program????

Started by jhockens
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jhockens

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone-
I would really appreciate some help with this question. I just graduated from Smith College in May 08 and I have not taken any of the courses necessary to apply for an MD/DO program. I know I want to attend a post-bacc prehealth career changer program, but how can anyone afford those programs when the tuition costs $20-30K. Almost all of the programs I've researched from the AAMC.org site says that they only allow students to take out the maximum federal loan amount each year. I have $30,000 in undergraduate debt. I would prefer not to have to take out that same amount for one-two years of post-bacc studies. Does anyone know of post-bacc programs that offer financial aid or scholarships or grants for these types of programs? I don't understand how one is expected to live comfortably (i.e. rent, food, car, utilities, etc) while attending one of these programs. Please help!:scared:😱
 
I sympathize.
Med school tuition now runs 20-40k a year, so taken in that light, the 20-30k for a year is probably what you can expect for a year at any private school of any type. If you go to med school you are going to run up debt of 100-200k since there are very few scholarships available.
Just something to keep in mind.
Internal med doc.