Afraid I failed CS again...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrustratedMS4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm an american medical student who failed his first CS attempt with about half of the stars in borderline and half below. My CIS was only like 2 stars in borderline and the rest above. I feel much better about my ICE portion except in my note I had to write the histories as:

PMHx: xxxx, Meds: xxxx, Allergies: xxxx, etc, etc Like a list because of the 15 line limit.

rather than the traditional:
PMHx:
Meds:
Allergies:
Etc.

I also forgot to counsel one patient, didn't get to counsel another (time), and most importantly, incorrectly counseled another (gave them the wrong answer to their question). Otherwise I feel my CIS was identical to previous and my ICE (exam, note content, differentials) were better. For ICE, I'm almost positive of my DDx on 9/12, missed a couple of tests/etc.

Is this note change a killer? I did it on every single note... Please tell me someone else who passed did that.

Thanks,

Freaking out...

Members don't see this ad.

Dont worry abt note arrangement, what is important is writing the info and thats it.
What was ur problem exactly in ur first attempt??

You guys should be fine , Part of my notes was done that way when i got to Family , Social and OBGYN hx if needed .. I passed without any issues and my notes i considered were so so ..

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm an american medical student who failed his first CS attempt with about half of the stars in borderline and half below. My CIS was only like 2 stars in borderline and the rest above. I feel much better about my ICE portion except in my note I had to write the histories as:

PMHx: xxxx, Meds: xxxx, Allergies: xxxx, etc, etc Like a list because of the 15 line limit.

rather than the traditional:
PMHx:
Meds:
Allergies:
Etc.

I also forgot to counsel one patient, didn't get to counsel another (time), and most importantly, incorrectly counseled another (gave them the wrong answer to their question). Otherwise I feel my CIS was identical to previous and my ICE (exam, note content, differentials) were better. For ICE, I'm almost positive of my DDx on 9/12, missed a couple of tests/etc.

Is this note change a killer? I did it on every single note... Please tell me someone else who passed did that.

Thanks,

Freaking out...

Absolutely not, I did the exact same thing and am in your shoes - found out I failed CIS in early February and retook it last week. Good luck, try not to freak out!

Can you comment on what you think you did wrong in the CIS section?

Sure...I honestly just did not even try my first time around on the exam. I in no way ever entertained failing as a real possibility - sometimes I didn't even go into the room with a open ended question, simply a "I understand you're here for chest pain, right?" Also, didn't do closures at end. I was a f*%king fool.