Afraid my application is too research heavy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

entireparsley

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been doing research at a surgical research lab (pancreatitis research, 3 publications) every summer since my junior year of high school (currently a rising junior undergrad) so I have 1500+ hours.
I have ~200 volunteering hours and ~100 hours shadowing primarily OMFS, with about 20 of those hours in general practice. I also have ~150 hours shadowing trauma, general, and orthopedic surgeons from when I was premed.
I feel like my application is very lopsided? How much do dental schools care about research?

Members don't see this ad.

lol no your application isn't lopsided. Although, I'd still try to get 80+ hours of shadowing a general dentist. I had over 2000 hours of research and I'm fairly positive no amount of research is frowned upon. Another thing that may help is any sort of patient contact work positions. I worked for the USDA and did research for 3 years during undergrad, I was also an orderly in a hospital for 1 and a tech at a dermatology clinic for 2. As long as you get your shadowing in and write a solid personal statement as to why dentistry, you should be sitting very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.