African born - physical therapy admission, please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poisson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was just curious if someone could share their comment on if they think a friend of mine has a good chance for acceptance? He is mostly interested in physical therapy I believe, but is also interested in medicine. He works in a factory to pay bills, and has several children. He at one point in time attended a full time private university and attained over 3.5 GPA for several semesters with a full science courseload. Since working in the factory for several years, he has taken science courses at a large flagship state university and is earning grades of about C and B usually. He also had some very ugly episodes of repeating organic chemistry and getting an F 2 times recently, and getting a C+ the third time. The university he is attending I believe has a physical therapy program and I think the grading may even be Pass/Fail, where the Fail grades don't go against the GPA, but they probably have some limit on those. That's not really related, but anyways, does he have a chance at being admitted? His cumulative GPA was recently calculated and has attained above a 3.0. Would the minority situation help him being from Africa for DPT or medical schools? He is not finished with a bachelors degree, but will be in 3 semesters. Should he finish the bachelors or try to gain admission directly to the DPT program? His father is also a surgeon practicing in Europe if that holds any weight, but is not in contact with him too much.

Members don't see this ad.

This is just my two cents, but I think everyone who has completed the required pre-PT courses with good grades (they don't have to be all A's, but I know it helps!) has a chance of getting in to a PT program. It seems to me that admissions offices look for diversity and life experience among the students to whom they offer admission. I'm a few years older than the "average" student, and everyone told me that that would work to my advantage. I actually got in to the program that was first on my list!

Anyways, maybe someone with more insight on courses taken overseas can put in some more helpful info, but I think if your friend is passionate about becoming a PT he should go for it! Good luck to him!

Something to note though - PT school is very rigorous, the programs do NOT recommend that you work while attending. He should factor that into his decision process

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell him to apply and try you never know until you try. If he has a great GRE score and does a lot of observer hours and applies to 5 or more schools, I think he has a decent chance at admission. You have to not just calculate his cumulative GPA but his prerequisite GPA instead.

Thank you for these responses. Well his pre-req GPA is for sure super high. Some upper level courses like genetics he got a C- in upon transferring to a new school later. I'd say he has almost all As in the pre-req courses, as organic chem, some courses like this are not part of the pre-reqs at his school. Hes definetely the right fit for the career, hes very good with people, has an inquisitive biological mind, and is very athletic. PT to me seems pretty hands on, lots of athletic types do well in the field. With his blood, his dad being a vascular surgeon, that to me means he must have enough of the brains to do good in PT.