african medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stwei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder why there are so many people applying to carribean medical schools and not African ones. Is there any english-speaking medical school on the African continent? What do I need to consider before applying there?

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on which country in Africa you're applying to. Each country has their own standards/requirements for admission. I think Carribean med schools are more taylored toward the American system than African, which tend to follow soomething similar to European med schools (like six year programs that ppl start straight out of high school).

Originally posted by stwei
I wonder why there are so many people applying to carribean medical schools and not African ones. Is there any english-speaking medical school on the African continent? What do I need to consider before applying there?

I'm not sure what your asking, but I will try to answer based on what I understand.

-You want to know why so many apply to carribean med school rather than african med school?

Well, it could be that most African med schools are not as popular than the carribean med schools. There could be alot of reasons why people choose not to go to africa compared to another country. For me, Africa gives me a chance to experince medicine from my own culture. I get a chance to experience my culture which was taken away from me. I would consider going to an african medical school before I went to a carribean medical just for this fact alone.

-Is there any english speaking medical schools in Africa?

Of course there is. English is a widely spoken langauage in Africa. Most of the medical schools have classes taught in english. At my school, all classes are taught in english. another african medical school I know very well is also taught in english and is a fine medical school, University of Liberia, A.M. Dogliotti School of Medicine (AMD). There are many more I'm sure which are in english.

-What do you need to consider before applying?

No sure if your asking about requirements or something else. I can only speak for my own school and it is the same for US medical schools. You need a pre-med background-Biology, Chemistry, Physics and MCAT scores. Although at my school, it is not weighted the same as US or carriibean school. It also depends upon your citizenship. If your african decent and are a african citizen, then I'm sure your determing admission factors will differ than someone who is US citizen. If you could be a little more detail in your question, I could help answer it.

Best of studies..

Hi Jasmine,

I understand that you are going to SLSOM Pune Campus in Fall 2004. I want more details about this college