Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

After Acceptance Dec 1st, Minimum Grade Requirement

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by gator1210, Nov 13, 2005.

1. gator1210

gator1210 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Say you got in Dec 1st and your fall grades dont come in till like Mid December, and you might get some Cs because interviews make you miss damn unannounced quizzes, do you think this matters?

What are the requirements, typically, of schools to start D-school in fall 06'?

I know all schools want you to finish your degree if you said you were gonna get it, but what else?

Thanks....I live in Florida :oops:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pibozh

pibozh Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I know some schools might give you some sort of requirements that you are to meet before you start in fall. In your case(which is my case) schools should know that you can not change your grade for fall semester, so if anything, they will ask for spring semester grades. I am still unclear though..hope somebody knows more.

4. philicity

philicity Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    for UOP, my advisor told me that when you accept admittance, you also sign a contract that says you can't get a B- or lower for the spring semester/quarter. as for fall grades, i think the dental schools understands that by the time the interview comes along, it's too late for students to do anything about it. if the school is not sure whether or not to accept a student, perhaps they'll wait to see the fall grades before mailing out the acceptance...

5. Mayo123

Mayo123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

DO you guys know if they'll take back their admissions offer once they see your fall grades and aren't satisfied? I'm wayyy behind this semester, so I was just curious. I know at one school they told me that if they offered you a spot on December 1st and then you failed a class fall semester, then they'd contact you to take back their offer. I'm not sure what their stance would be on C's or C+'s...I guess it's a case by case thing.

Not trying to make anyone nervous :), but I just wondered if you guys knew anything about that.

6. drengineer

drengineer Back to surfing!
    7+ Year Member

I would like to know about this as well.

7. tinman831

tinman831 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Administrator Dentist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Each school will establish their own terms when they hand out acceptances. If you don't meet their terms, they CAN and most likely WILL take back their offer of acceptance.

I think most schools want at least a C- on the classes you are currently enrolled in and will be enrolled in. Most people slack off knowing that they've already been accepted into a professional program. You can slack off, but not TOO much. :p

8. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Just do as well as you can. Don't let anything slip. It would also suck if you apply to specialties down the road and they see that your GPA went from a 3.8 to a 2.5 the semester you got a dental school acceptance. That's quite telling about your personal attitude towards learning.

9. pibozh

pibozh Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The GPA of Undegrad will again count when we are applying for specialty programs???I heard they care about your GPA in dental school and the stuff that you have done in those 4 years...

10. Richnator

Richnator Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yah, this semester is having its dent on me. My dog was hit by a car and did not make it. I was down ever since, but I try to stay positive hoping that I will get an acceptance letter. So, I guess try your best, but it is hard when you are feeling down all the time. I know for sure though, time always numbs the pain. As long as you get your degree, I dont think they should give you any trouble.

11. litlmisa

litlmisa Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Sorry to hear about your dog, that is really too bad. At least you have a lot on your plate to keep you busy, sometimes that makes it easier.

12. Mayo123

Mayo123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow, I'm really sorry. I lost my dog last year too, actually...it's really hard. especially since I pretty much grew up with her. Hang in there. And thanks for your input.

13. Missserica

Missserica Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    RIP Richnator's dog.

Um, yeah, I am having a wicked hard time with these required Animal-related and Plant-related biology courses! Ah, Mammalogy! It's a 500-level. The average is always an 80 or above because there are all these wildlife enthusiasts in it! I am not used to it, and I don't have any experience like working on a farm or anything :scared: Ugh. Oh yeah, PLUS lab exams! Identifying skulls and bones and skins. It's not easy. They are timed, so it's like 30 seconds per question. I am praying for a C. Anyone feel me?

14. Lostinbul

Lostinbul Pray'n for a letter!
    5+ Year Member

I just got a post interview letter from USC stating that if I accept an acceptance offer I can't get anything lower than a C if I want to keep that acceptance. (This information came from a standard letter sent to all applicants who interview at USC) Hope this info helps!

15. Richnator

Richnator Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks guys for showing such compassion. I am sure you all will get an acceptance and make great dentists. I am glad I have met such a nice and empathetic group as you guys.

Good luck to you all,
    Rich