after college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

windowlicker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
should i apply to Pa schools my senior year or get some experience first?

Members don't see this ad.

This is just my opinion, as this quoted post was his/her opinion.

...the other 15 are not worth attending.

Unless you have been to each of these programs, worked with people from each of these programs, or have some research to back it up, how can you make the blanket statement that none of these programs are worth attending?

If experience is the "be all-end all" of becoming a PA, then why are those programs allowed to be accredited? I know the general history of the profession was to place experienced, trained providers in areas and places that were being underserved by MD's. I know that experience is important (believe me, I have 15 yrs of it, and could not imagine going to PA school without it). But I think that you are just going to have to get over the fact that many PA schools are allowing less. If you've got such a problem with PA schools allowing little or no experience, then get on the board of ARC-PA and change the rules, otherwise get off these programs' backs. They're accredited (just like the one you went to), students have to pass the PANCE (just like you did), and then have the confidence to go out and be PAs (just like you've been doing).

Students have to go to the school that is the best fit for their life and goals, NOT measure up to your standards.

Members don't see this ad :)

Unless you have been to each of these programs, worked with people from each of these programs, or have some research to back it up, how can you make the blanket statement that none of these programs are worth attending?

EmedPA has been in the PA game so long that he probably has worked with people from these programs. (...most likely trained them)

EmedPA has been in the PA game so long that he probably has worked with people from these programs. (...most likely trained them)
yup...and I am in a position to hire pa's....and I don't hire pa's without prior experience regardless of where they went to school.....

"students have to pass the PANCE (just like you did)"

a little history lesson...before 1996 pance was a 1 week long examination with 6 required components. there were 3 written exams( primary care, core medical knowledge, and surgery) and 3 practical exams- 2 "simple problems " (10 min allowed to complete each) and 1 "complex problem" (20 min allowed to complete.) to get a passing score a student had to pass all 3 practicals and the core knowledge exam plus either the surgery or primary care exam.you could honor in all 3 written sections and still fail if you blew 1 practical exam. a student in my class did just that and had to wait a year to retake the boards-they used to only be given once/yr.
so in short, students today do not have to pass the same exam I did. they have to pass a watered down single written exam that can be done on the computer in a few hrs. no practicals.
as a pa precptor for over 10 years I'm sorry to say that the overall quality of pa students is decreasing as the trend becomes accepting those with higher gpa's and science degrees but minimal experience. there is a place for folks like this. it's called med school. they need the 7 yr path.

I deserve and accept the flogging about the history of the PANCE. In my general research I had not looked into its history. I will in the future.

emdpa - I have read hundreds of posts by you in this forum and the PA forum and respect what you do and have to say. The program I am considering is one of those that does not require experience and circumstances are such that I need this particular program. When I asked about experience in the interview, they told me that even though it is not required, most of the applicants and almost all of the accepted students have medical experience because those are the ones that have the truest idea of what it takes and the dedication to complete and continue their education. This is a well respected program in my state among all of the PAs to whom I have spoken. I guess you just hit the right button for me to get defensive.

With respect,
ABW6088

with 15 years of prior experience you would get an interview where I work regardless of where you went to school. peace friend
-e