After doing MS in vision science how to practice OD

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

optomfromindia

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi , I am an international student who has completed his bachelor's and master's in optometry from India and was about to pursue my MS in vision science coming fall from the USA itself but wanted to know if in future I want to see patients (practice like a normal optometrist ) in USA , Do I give some exams to be able to do that or I have to complete 3 OR 4 years of OD from any of the schools?
 
Hi, there are two ways I believe to practice here in the US in your situation. You can do an 2 year Advanced Standing OD program that NECO and a few other schools have in addition to completing the board exams. The other possible way is to do a research PhD in an Optometry school then follow a similar format with board exams etc.