After prelim IM position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healuv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm in a prelim IM position this year and next year I'm planning to apply for an EM resident position through the Match. I'd really appreciate any good suggestions to increase my chances of getting into a EM program in this years Match. What can I do as a IM intern? I know it's a supid question but I really want to be in an EM program this year and I just don't want to have regrets such as "Oooooh I've could of done this!" and things like that. So any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

1) Apply to 1-3, 1-4 and 2-4 programs. I know you feel like you might be wasting your time on the 1-3/4, but if you get into a good program it will be worth your while. Apply to many programs, as EM has become very competative.

2) Try to get an EM rotation in your year and work with someone well-known in EM. If you can rotate at a big academic EM program and get a good letter.

3) Work hard in your IM year. If your IM director/attendings like you he/she may recommend you to an EM person, especially if there is an EM program at/near your hospital. IM also applies very directly to EM.

4) Don't stress about next year too much. Your intern year can be one of your most challenging and rewarding years of your life. It's also pretty damn exhausting. For the next year your main challenge is learning how to be a good doctor, not getting into an EM program.