After Transitional Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an IMG, what are the odds of getting into IM residency after transitional year? Will they look at it favorably or it won't matter? Especially that I'll be applying the next match only after 2 months of training.

I was planning on pursuing Neurology after that but I didn't get an advanced spot and it looks like it won't get any better the next match!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it matters too much. However, understand that it won't be as easy for you or the program since you'll undoubtedly have catching up to do in terms of clinic time, procedures, rotation requirements, etc.

I'm not sure if there are ACGME rules about those in terms of IM residency (well, I know there are for procedures).

Those are the things I would look into.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it matters too much. However, understand that it won't be as easy for you or the program since you'll undoubtedly have catching up to do in terms of clinic time, procedures, rotation requirements, etc.

I'm not sure if there are ACGME rules about those in terms of IM residency (well, I know there are for procedures).

Those are the things I would look into.
I'm not trying to go into PGY-2 Medicine, is that what you mean? I was going to apply widely to IM programs and start PGY-1 after this transitional year, do they have restrictions on that?

Thank you.

Ok, got it.

The only issue would be funding. Again, not 100% certain, but I think a TY year would count as one year of funding...but I'm not sure. Each specialty has a set number of years of funding...if you start in medicine, you get three years since it's a three year program.

I'm not sure since TY isn't a full program, but I THINK that would eat up one of your three years. Thus, any program that you go to would have to cover part (or all) of your salary for your third year.

Again, not sure, but this is the main thing you have to look into. You should be good to go with everything else afaik.

if you ranked a TY year on your main list, would you still get the "fully matched" email?

I know you wouldnt for preliminary programs, but is a TY considered "preliminary"?

if you ranked a TY year on your main list, would you still get the "fully matched" email?

I know you wouldnt for preliminary programs, but is a TY considered "preliminary"?
No you would get "partially matched", and yes it's considered preliminary.

A TY won't count as a PGY-1 in IM. You will get credit for any month that you do exactly the same thing an IM resident would do in the same program. Most TY's include some surgical rotations, sometimes some peds, etc, and none of that will count. Basically, you'll probably have to start again at the PGY-1 level. You are correct that you'll only have 2 months of your TY done by then, but perhaps that will help.

However, if you want neuro, you best bet is to look for an offcycle PGY-2. Some people who matched this cycle will drop out -- either their visa will have a problem, they will have an illness / family emergency, they will change their minds, fail out of their PGY-1, etc. Those spots don't go into the match, you simply have to find one. That's what you probably want to focus on. If the program you're going to has a neuro program, then you want to contact the neuro PD. Chances are, if a spot opens up he/she would hear about it. The only bad news is that your TY might not count fully as a prelim year for neuro. There are very specific requirements for what can and cannot be in a neuro prelim year -- you might want to review that before you choose what rotations / electives you get. If your TY doesn't fully meet the requirements, then you start your Neuro residency in July, and then somewhere along the line (or at the end) you make up a few IM blocks. By then, the neuro PD should be able to talk to the IM PD about getting you 2-3 months of rotations to complete your training.

A TY won't count as a PGY-1 in IM. You will get credit for any month that you do exactly the same thing an IM resident would do in the same program. Most TY's include some surgical rotations, sometimes some peds, etc, and none of that will count. Basically, you'll probably have to start again at the PGY-1 level. You are correct that you'll only have 2 months of your TY done by then, but perhaps that will help.

However, if you want neuro, you best bet is to look for an offcycle PGY-2. Some people who matched this cycle will drop out -- either their visa will have a problem, they will have an illness / family emergency, they will change their minds, fail out of their PGY-1, etc. Those spots don't go into the match, you simply have to find one. That's what you probably want to focus on. If the program you're going to has a neuro program, then you want to contact the neuro PD. Chances are, if a spot opens up he/she would hear about it. The only bad news is that your TY might not count fully as a prelim year for neuro. There are very specific requirements for what can and cannot be in a neuro prelim year -- you might want to review that before you choose what rotations / electives you get. If your TY doesn't fully meet the requirements, then you start your Neuro residency in July, and then somewhere along the line (or at the end) you make up a few IM blocks. By then, the neuro PD should be able to talk to the IM PD about getting you 2-3 months of rotations to complete your training.
I'm not sure if my program will have Neuro because I still don't know where I matched. Also I'm not aware how often Neuro programs interview applicants for positions in the same or following year, because they used to conduct interviews for 2013 positions in most of the places I've been to this match.

I would appreciate it if you could guide me how I can find off-cycle PGY-2 positions. I only know of "FREIDA" that posts residency vacancies every once in a while.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

There isn't any one source of neuro openings. As I mentioned before, if your institution has a neuro program, the neuro PD is a key person to meet. First, if they end up with an opening, that would be very attractive. If not, then perhaps the neuro PD's have a discussion board / email system where they review and debate issues, and in that case things like this come up. You could also look at www.residentswap.org and also www.findaresident.com. I don't know how useful either is.

There's also one neuro PGY-2 posted right here on SDN, in the Open position / swap forum. Don't get excited, since it's a PGY-2 for this July (when you're starting your PGY-1) -- but my point is the same, you'd have a decent chance of finding a PGY-2 position in neuro for next year if you network and keep your eyes/ears open, and you're flexible about where you go (and you have a decent application)

Last edited: