You

Carpe Diem!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
The OC, CA
Status
I know as we age, our hand can shake and eyes needing reading glasses. I'm wondering what age is that usually and what do most dentists do when that begins. Anyone knows?

What is the oldest dentist you've seen?

rchuloholla

Probationary Status
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
everyone is diffrent.. i kno lil kids w/ reading glasses and hands shake. c'mon u should kno this lol

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
You said:
I know as we age, our hand can shake and eyes needing reading glasses. I'm wondering what age is that usually and what do most dentists do when that begins. Anyone knows?

I imagine most dentists wear their glasses and keep using hand & finger rests to eliminate the shaking--in other words, they keep practicing pretty much the same way they always have.

About the Ads

tug1625

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Status
My father has been practicing for 30 years now.. about the only thing I've seen happen is his glasses keep getting thicker along with bifocals and if his hands ever start to shake.. welp he'd probably hang it up and head to the golf course full time.

BirkChick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Status
Dental Student
You said:

My dentist is 75 and is still as sharp as ever!

OP
You

You

Carpe Diem!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
The OC, CA
Status
Birkchick, wow!

Thanks all for the replies. That really comforts in not worrying about being unemployed when we get near 66.5 or whatever it is for our generation.

Solid Snake DDS

Student DDS
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2006
Republic of Kalifornia
Status
My dentist back home is old....I mean really old. He is turning 79 in September........but he is an Orthodontis......so I guess a steady hand is not necessary. I remember he telling me the last time he gave an injection was like 35 years ago...

FreshBreath

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Beantown, USA
Status
Dental Student
I am sure you can continue to practice as long as you want as long as you are honest to what your capabilities allow you do treat. Does it matter when you start in relation when you retire? There is a guy in my class who was 35 when he started dental school.

About the Ads