Age Distribution of Pre-Med Users on SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your age?

• Ages 17 and under

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Ages 18 to 21

Votes: 127 44.9%
  • Ages 22 to 25

Votes: 108 38.2%
  • Ages 26 to 30

Votes: 26 9.2%
  • Ages 31 and over

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

Jaqen Hghar

A man needs a name.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm bored and thought it would be, at least, mildly amusing to get an idea of the age range of the pre-meds on here. If you have been accepted to start this Fall, feel free to vote as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but we're also all the super smart gunners in college. 17 and under :laugh:

:laugh: Yea, I was going to leave that group out, but I started college when I was 17. A lot of good that did me...:oops:

Yea I'm 19 but I would say most ppl on here are the ones applying to med school this cycle

Yeah but we're also all the super smart gunners in college. 17 and under :laugh:

Dropped out of High school, then later went to college "early" and got a 4.0, so I guess I wouldn't be in the smart gunners category :D. Though I'm not 17 anymore.

High school drop out. Early college student.

Though, I'm certainly not a gunner.

High school drop out. Early college student.

Though, I'm certainly not a gunner.

So you're 16 now...

pedobear.jpg

I'm gonna start this coming fall, and I'm gonna be 20 this Aug : )

I feel like im so old lool

I'm 97, applying to med school. I hope I'm not too old; I wanna do geriatric research, and maybe I can live to 300.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a friend who is an MS2 and only 19. Both of his parents are physicians, which might help explain his fast track into medicine.

I'm 20 now, but will be 24 when applying to med school :lame:

Dropped out of High school, then later went to college "early" and got a 4.0, so I guess I wouldn't be in the smart gunners category :D. Though I'm not 17 anymore.

That wasn't vain whatsoever.

I'm taking time off at 24, applying to med school, living it up in Surf City (pseudonym), Cali. Awesome plan man.

Hope your not a Cali resident lol- those plans sound a lot better as a Florida or jersey resident

Can someone explain to me how this works?

easy- i have a friend who did the same but hes not pre-med. Basically he thought HS was a joke (very smart guy) so he dropped out and got his GED in like 6 months.. he was in college when i started junior year of HS. :rolleyes:

.. looking back i wish i did the same thing- i could be done with college and take time off to study for the MCAT and work on my app without cramming everything in all at once :confused:

So you're 16 now...

pedobear.jpg

Yes and, uh, that was fairly creepy.

Can someone explain to me how this works?

easy- i have a friend who did the same but hes not pre-med. Basically he thought HS was a joke (very smart guy) so he dropped out and got his GED in like 6 months.. he was in college when i started junior year of HS. :rolleyes:

.. looking back i wish i did the same thing- i could be done with college and take time off to study for the MCAT and work on my app without cramming everything in all at once :confused:

Basically, this is the easiest, cheapest way to do it. I hated high school [and middle school, and some of elementary school, and, uh....] and was absolutely miserable. I have been reading at a college level (give or take) l since about the 4th or 5th grade (started reading at 2, writing creatively/abstractly at 3) and would beg my underfunded, overcrowded school system to even allow me to bring in books that were at my comprehension level to read in-between assignments; but, each time, they would refuse, telling me that I just thought I was better than everyone else and that I was just being a brat. To be clear, I didn't think I was "better" than anyone else -- far from it, actually, and, if anything, I have struggled with self-esteem issues throughout most of my life due to early childhood trauma -- I just wanted to be able to go into school each day and feel like I was learning something other than how many tiles were on the ceilings. By the end of the 6th grade, I had essentially given up on school, stopped doing any of my homework, enrolled in night classes at the local CC and state uni and vowed to drop out the second I could. The first day "out" was one of the happiest, most peaceful of my life. I'm still not sure I'm at a place to let go of some of the bitterness I harbor at the school system; as far as I am concerned, they stole and wasted years of my life, stunted my intellectual and social development and made my life unnecessarily more stressful than it already was. Seriously, all they had to do was let me bring in a few books and maybe, if they were being nice, accelerate me a grade or two. No cost to them.

*Breath*

Have I mentioned that I may be a tiny bit bitter?

All of that being said, my path was actually a bit different. I chose to leave for an early college program, like this one or this one, as it allowed me to leave a semester or two earlier; however, due to my life kind of falling apart, I was forced to Withdraw and won't be able to go back due to money issues, leaving an awkward semester-long W stain on my record. I'll still be in school next semester; but 'where' is a little less certain right now, though I do have some decent options.

Yes and, uh, that was fairly creepy.

Basically, this is the easiest, cheapest way to do it. I hated high school [and middle school, and some of elementary school, and, uh....] and was absolutely miserable. I have been reading at a college level (give or take) l since about the 4th or 5th grade (started reading at 2, writing creatively/abstractly at 3) and would beg my underfunded, overcrowded school system to even allow me to bring in books that were at my comprehension level to read in-between assignments; but, each time, they would refuse, telling me that I just thought I was better than everyone else and that I was just being a brat. To be clear, I didn't think I was "better" than anyone else -- far from it, actually, and, if anything, I have struggled with self-esteem issues throughout most of my life due to early childhood trauma -- I just wanted to be able to go into school each day and feel like I was learning something other than how many tiles were on the ceilings. By the end of the 6th grade, I had essentially given up on school, stopped doing any of my homework, enrolled in night classes at the local CC and state uni and vowed to drop out the second I could. The first day "out" was one of the happiest, most peaceful of my life. I'm still not sure I'm at a place to let go of some of the bitterness I harbor at the school system; as far as I am concerned, they stole and wasted years of my life, stunted my intellectual and social development and made my life unnecessarily more stressful than it already was. Seriously, all they had to do was let me bring in a few books and maybe, if they were being nice, accelerate me a grade or two. No cost to them.

*Breath*

Have I mentioned that I may be a tiny bit bitter?

All of that being said, my path was actually a bit different. I chose to leave for an early college program, like this one or this one, as it allowed me to leave a semester or two earlier; however, due to my life kind of falling apart, I was forced to Withdraw and won't be able to go back due to money issues, leaving an awkward semester-long W stain on my record. I'll still be in school next semester; but 'where' is a little less certain right now, though I do have some decent options.

I know the feeling. I was in the same situation. Its pretty rough. I'm glad to know theres other people out there who can empathize. :)

16. GED, high enough scores to get into a Uni. Did the same exact thing.

Graduated high school in 08.

Fall 08 Remedial classes
Fall 09 Liberal arts
Fall 10 Web design
Fall 11 Business
Fall 12 Biology

I'm pretty much starting my undergrad over.