age factor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

604boo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I will be 27-28 if I get into d school and I am kinda afraid of being old in school (making friends and all the other stuff).
I am just wondering.. does age matter when it comes to d school?

Members don't see this ad.

I am friends with people younger and older than myself. I think personality is more of a deciding factor in making friends than age.

As a disclaimer, I'm not in dental school. But I would imagine that there are plenty of students who are in their 20's and even 30's. It's probably rarer to have someone very young or very old, but there are probably those too (ie - someone who's 19 or 50)

Just go with an open mind and if you're a likable person, I'm sure you'll get to know lots of people.

age doesnt really matter...in fact i'd say a very large portion, if not the majority of students, at least this year have been out of undergrad for at least 1 year. At one of my interviews our tour guide said they had someone start at age 37..some schools even have people in their 50's..wouldn't worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys!
I will be 27-28 if I get into d school and I am kinda afraid of being old in school (making friends and all the other stuff).

I dont know about dental school but my best friends at my med school are a 30 year old married man and a 26 year old.

I'm 22.

I wouldn't worry about it. I am 28, but will be 29 when I start (holy crap, I just realized how old I am). I know quite a few guys who started about the same age. One of the ad com guys at my local state college also told me they favor more "experienced" students.

I'm 30, but I act like a kid a lot.

You're likely to be anti-aging prone when actively getting yourself tied up with D-school loads.

From students that i have talked to/friends with in dental school now say that the older you are when you go in the better!

I look back at where i was just after i graduated from undergrad and i am SO glad i didn't get in right away.

I was told that the students that struggle the most were the ones that were in the "advanced placement" programs where you get to go to dental school after your third year of undergrad. She said they were all crash and burning!! Couldn't handle it academically or emotionally.

Life experience helps a lot!!!

I'm 31 and excited to become a dentist. Its never too late!

I have just been accepted to dental school and my 27th birthday is in 8 days. I'll be out when I'm 31-32 (with res.) I don't think that sounds very old, then again, I'm currently married to a 36 year old. I just think I'll be 5 years younger than he is now when I'm fully into this profession.

I'm about to turn 29. What makes me fell old is that my son will be eight by the time I am done, and my 6 month old will be 5.

Tons of people here are about the same age as you. Also, take into account that, in a few schools (ie, ASDOH, Loma Linda, Howard, Oregon), the average age is 26 (Official ADEA guide to dental schools). One school has an average age of 28 (UNLV). In most, the average age is 24 or 25.

Thanks guys!!
I am happy to hear that. I guess I just need to study my ass off!!!
:love:

Hi guys!

No, it doesn't. Read some of the old threads like the over 30 club, you are average. And ridiculous.

I'm about to turn 29. What makes me fell old is that my son will be eight by the time I am done, and my 6 month old will be 5.

I know how you feel! I'm 30 and my 18 month old daughter will be 5.5 when I am done w/school! I am excited about the decision to go back to school.

I'll be 35 this year and hope to get in during the 2008 cycle. I'll be 40 when I finish. But this is my second career and I had a great first career. I'm just ready to move on. I have a wife and 3 kids. Forget about your age and do what's right. If that happens to be D-school, do it! :)