Age getting Masters/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schoolpsych1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed while using a grad school search engine, that many programs in masters in Psych had an average age of 26 or 29. I am trying to go right out of college (time will tell that route) but do most programs have somewhat older students? Do you think it's experience, money related or just a change of career?
I have met a few older students in Psych just talking to people at my job, many in their thirties. It brings another group of problems but they are also more settled and have less issues with money.
Do you think it helps/hurts to be of a certain age?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not age, it's maturity and experience. Schools spend a great deal of resources on their grad students. It would be costly to accept students who aren't dedicated. I think generally you become more aware of your interests and yourself as you age. Moreover it maybe easier to articulate those interests.

That being said it's obvious that maturity is variable. A lot of UG students are very sure of their goals and interest and there are a lot of middle aged adults still wandering the desert.

It really depends on the program. In my current master's program, about 2/3 of my class came directly from undergrad and the other 1/3 are older (late 20's). This trend is similar in other classes in our program as well.

Bottom line is that schools vary if they prefer to take students directly from undergrad or not. There is no "age" discrimination necessarily, but age is highly correlated to experience and having a clear career direction. If you want to go straight into a Ph.D. program, you can still get in directly from undergrad, but it is getting harder and harder to do so. Psychology programs, master's and Ph.D., are so competitive that getting a Master's degree first or getting some on-the-job experience can only improve your chances for admission.

I hope that answers your question some, although I guess "it depends" isn't always the most comforting answer. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes maturity can vary greatly with students. I've met some that were very mature at 25 and others that still acted like they were 18 at 28!

I guess a lot depends on the program, you hear so many variables. Some students think they should be older/younger, some think having a masters helps, others say it hurts, the list goes on.
I guess reading as much as you can and talking to other students will give you an idea of what they lean toward.

Most people in the master's programs in my school are straight from undergrad, but there is a large chunk of people who waited several years before returning, and a couple who waited a couple of decades.

I have a professor who didnt go back to earn his ph.d until he was 41 years old. However, he strongly advised me not to wait this long if i was interested.

Wow this is really good to know i often wondered this myself , most may say it's early for me to think about this but I already know I want to start with my BA , then my MA , the go for my Ph.D . I wondered too if there was a certain age but reading this thread helps! I'll be like 26 when I enter into a Master's program . I'll be an undergrad going to grad school , I don't plan to take breaks .