Age & matching NS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WellWornLad

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious whether neurosurgery programs consider age (officially or unofficially) in selecting residents. While by no means ancient, I will have passed that great three-oh before graduating med school, and was wondering if I should prepare for an uphill battle, all else being equal.

I'm mainly concerned about the application process. Insights into life as a thirty-something NS resident are a welcome diversion, but I'm less concerned about that aspect of the process.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I was curious whether neurosurgery programs consider age (officially or unofficially) in selecting residents. While by no means ancient, I will have passed that great three-oh before graduating med school, and was wondering if I should prepare for an uphill battle, all else being equal.

I'm mainly concerned about the application process. Insights into life as a thirty-something NS resident are a welcome diversion, but I'm less concerned about that aspect of the process.

Thanks in advance!

I am just a fourth year med student, but aren't many MD/PhD candidates going to be well into their 30s?

There are residents of all ages. However but all other things being equal, applying in your mid to late thirties will be a disadvantage as it would be many specialties or jobs with similar characteristics to neurosurgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to bump this and see if anyone has any more insight into age and NS residency? I will be just past my mid thirties when I am done with med school and was wondering if that would be a major roadblock to landing a NS residency?

I'm not completely certain I will pursue NS, but I am teetering on the fence between NS, Neurology, and Anesthesiology (the latter two I feel would have less age discrimination, but I'm not sure I would be as happy in those fields...).

I am curious about this as well. I am estimating a possible mid thirties graduation from med school. I am 28 now and I have my AA already transferring to a 4 year university to get my bachelors and finish pre reqs so hopefully I will be done in my mid to upper thirties.

I am a xray tech right now and my time is spent in surgery alot. I work closely with neurosurgeons daily. I realize it would be rigorous but man would I love to be involved in that. I hope they would consider an older applicant.