Age Matters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pizza12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would age of the applicant come into play in the admission decision process? I'm talking about being a very young applicant. Is it possible to matriculate at 18 or is there an unspoken rule that med schools have that they don't consider anyone this young?
Appreciate all your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Adcoms have said on here before that they are cautious about giving acceptances to someone under 20.
And yes, they can age discriminate as anyone under 40 can be legally discriminated for their age.

I personally know somebody who got into UCLA as an 18 year old, but he went on to match neurosurg at a very prestigious program. So to mere mortals that means nothing.

How would age of the applicant come into play in the admission decision process? I'm talking about being a very young applicant. Is it possible to matriculate at 18 or is there an unspoken rule that med schools have that they don't consider anyone this young?
Appreciate all your replies.
We get very nervous when it comes to immaturity, so precocious interviewees do come under a harsher spotlight, art least at my school.