Mar 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
It looks like i'm gonna get a c in music history class this semester.
I have already got one c in anthropology.
I'm math major and graduating this may.
I've got 19 on DAT (AA:19, PA:21, QR:21, RC:17, TS:18), 3.7 science gpa (BCP 3.64), and 3.67 overall gpa at this point.
That c might bring it down to 3.58 or something.
If I reapply next cycle(I'm on the waitinglist at one dental school right now), would those two c's make my application look really bad? Do I have to retake those classes?
Also, what do you think about my major? do I have to do bio minor or major?

Tiankum

7+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2010
Status
Dentist
Most schools put a heavier emphasis on the science GPA and the DAT...I wouldn't worry about it at all...you're sGPA and DAT are right on the money for dental school...just apply to the schools that would accept you...don't apply state schools unless you are a resident of that state...only apply to private if you're trying to go out of state...or NYU...they accept a large number of out of state. I would concentrate more on shadowing/working in a dental office, volunteering at places...and start to get your name out there early...call the schools you want to go to...call some dentists around the areas where you want to go to school and try to visit and shadow with them...that would set you up for some recommends that are worth something...if the school knows the dentist who is recommending you, that's a big plus.

Oct 8, 2009
Status
I don't think it will make your application look really bad since it is not a prerequisite course, although it will hurt your GPA.

I wouldn't worry about re-taking them. If anything, you might want to spend your time studying for your DAT. A 19 with 3.7 GPA is kind of low. What's the break down of your DAT scores? Anything lower than an 18?

And no, you don't need a bio major or minor as long as you have taken the prerequisites.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
Dude, a few C's here and these ESPECIALLY for junk courses don't mean a thing. With your overall GPA and science GPA (both above 3.5) top it off with 19AA, you have a solid shot.

Dec 20, 2009
Status
"no retreat; no surrender" that's that attitude that got me into UPENN, Columbia and Harvard with a 2.9 science GPA and a 20 DAT score.