Technology AIM minus the virus (hey, that rhymes)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

uclacrewdude

the uclacrewdude abides
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
guys, where can i download an earlier version of AIM? all the ones i can find on the internet look like later versions, which are supposed to be rigged with a virus, right?
 
uclacrewdude said:
guys, where can i download an earlier version of AIM? all the ones i can find on the internet look like later versions, which are supposed to be rigged with a virus, right?
I don't think so. If they contained some kind of trojan/virus, that would have been splashed all over the news.
 
The latest two versions of AIM (5.9 and 5.5) have the option of installing something to play online games through AIM. It's called "Wild Tangent" and Spybot detects it as spyware or something.

When I upgraded to 5.9 yesterday I made sure to uncheck the box to play online games through AIM. (Do this when you install the new version.)

I'm clean now. 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
get deadaim (I think its from www.deadaim.com) You have to pay like 3.99 or something (a one time fee) but its absolutely worth it. Deadaim removes the add, the annoying stock ticker, allows for tabbed im windows (a la firefox), has a cool transparency feature, and allows for alias's (e.g. you can have somebodys name appear on your buddy list as "Crake" instead of their real screename "uxtgsfrshfghs129333" I really like this feature, because you never forget who goes with what screename. Very worth $4.
 
DeadAIM: http://www.jdennis.net/index.php

I agree, GREAT program. I got hooked on tabbed windows, and the logging was really convenient. Cloning was great, but AIM finally enabled screen name linking. I really like the ability to type whila away.

I haven't reinstalled it yet...I'm getting the annoying "AIM Today" pop-up window every time I sign on--even though it's disabled in Preferences. 😕
 
i use gaim and trillian, both are free. gaim updates every 3 weeks or so, and gives you a lot of control over just about everything. trillian 3 was released recently and while it gives you slightly less control as gaim, there are skins and crap. both are good options, although i think gaim handles multiple simultaneous accounts better - trillian tends to merge buddy lists, which is kind of annoying.

www.trillian.cc
gaim.sourceforge.net
 
Dallenoff said:
DeadAIM: http://www.jdennis.net/index.php

I agree, GREAT program. I got hooked on tabbed windows, and the logging was really convenient. Cloning was great, but AIM finally enabled screen name linking. I really like the ability to type whila away.

I haven't reinstalled it yet...I'm getting the annoying "AIM Today" pop-up window every time I sign on--even though it's disabled in Preferences. 😕
To fix this, Click the "Add Tools" option at the bottom of the screen. Add a menu. Then click the "Add Tools" option again and now remove the menu.

Exit AIM and restart AIM. It should fix it.

Yes, it's a royal pain in the ask, but that's the only way you can disable the annoying AIM Today popup. Now if there was a way to disable the audio in their stupid ads.